Floor tile grout

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I've ordered some brown aquarium safe silicone sealant for making a new earthy looking background; but just wondering if it is safe or not to use standard grey floor tile grout to cover polystyrene for making a fake rock wall?

Thanks for any advice. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here is a video from josh's frogs.

this was built for dart frogs, hence the reason for the false bottom. but you could do the same thing without it.

[video=youtube;6qFTEAPYVwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qFTEAPYVwE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Also check out dendroboard.com

great info on using kitty litter, clay, newspaper, and foams to make faux rock walls.

JakkBauer

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I've ordered some brown aquarium safe silicone sealant for making a new earthy looking background; but just wondering if it is safe or not to use standard grey floor tile grout to cover polystyrene for making a fake rock wall?

Thanks for any advice. :)
Do you have a link for the brown silicone? Also I second going to dendroboard its awesome for building a viv. Lots of tips on home made bgs. I just made two for my frogs with great stuff background method. Need to find some safe silicone now. As far as I know certain types of grout are okay to use I'm not sure which tho.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies my friends.

A few weeks have passed since the OP, and I played safe and took a different course of action, but good to know for future projects.

Thanks for that video too Cody, very helpful. :)

Do you have a link for the brown silicone?

Its a product from a UK company called Bond It. They only sell to trade in bulk and it's difficult to get hold of, but I finally found a company in Lancashire (northern England) that were selling them individually.

Here's a link describing the product and where to get it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA6-RTV-MARINE-SILICONE-AQUARIUM-WATER-TANK-SEALANT-/320613273105

I called them up and found them to be very helpful and a good company to do business with.

Hopefully they will still have some left in stock for you. :)