Flatrock gestation

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I recently tried to breed my wc male Hadogenes troglodytes with a cb female. 3 days ago I found the male dead, couldnt put my finger on it, perfect condition but he just keeled over. I had them together for about a week. If they did breed, how long until she pops or shows any visible signs? Shes about 6-7in. chelicerae to telson. The male was about 5-6in. She ate all the crickets I put in with her, about 8.
Thanks,
Steve

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
How long after you seperated them did he keel over? He could have just been old, but if it wasn't that long she may have gotten a sting in him or the likes. It is also possible that it was just one of those flukes where for some reason something weird happened to kill your scorp.

As for her, you can expect to wait around a year before she pops. She may show visible signs within a couple months, but it won't be unbelievably obvious for several months after that. I've had scorpions (Buthidae, granted) that haven't blown up until a couple months before partuition.

Cheers,
Dave

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, he died while he was in with her. A year...wow.
Thanks for the info,
Steve

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Oh. 10:1 she nailed him. This is one of the few species that I would be hesitant to try cohabitation with -- especialy for more than a night or two -- based on what I have heard from others.

Cheers,
Dave

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, when cornered they are hell with their claws, but they never use the sting. On one or two occations I did the impossible of getting her to try and sting me. Apparently they dont like being messed with when you try to pick them up. Anyway they are quite tame when handling(for scorps). Shes like a mad bulldozer with claws, crazy. They seemed to get along ok though, theyd run into each other and nothing would happen. I read that in the wild in south africa they wedge themsleves in between rocks and share their hides with pankake tortoises. The male was skinny when I got him and I never seen him eat. So skinny you couldnt see that girth on his sided. Probably just old. Would their own venom be able to kill them if stung from a scorp of the same specie?
Steve

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They may not usualy use their sting and their venom may be useless on mammals, but I do know that they are capable of killing conspecifics. That being said, could have easily been old age.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steve,

Where did you pick up the Flat Rocks? That is a species I'm interested in acquiring, but they seem to be somewhat hard to find.

Botar

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I got the female from a friend, and the male from Kelly Swift, at www.swiftinverts.com. I got her to breed her, and don't know if i'll find another male if she isn't gravid. I'll send you a pic of her if you'd like. I didn't figure out how to post pics yet.
Steve

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Oh. 10:1 she nailed him. This is one of the few species that I would be hesitant to try cohabitation with -- especialy for more than a night or two -- based on what I have heard from others.

Cheers,
Dave
I had success keeping an adult male and female together in a 66 quart sterilite plastic bin (target, kmart, wal mart, etc. have them)
I did not even bother with a lid. I put a large flat rock in the center and aimed a 50 watt zoo-med basking light at the rock. there were two water dishes (I use 5 oz. condiment cups for water dishes) and two hides. they were together for around three months. the female gave birth to 4 babies, she must have been gravid when I got her and she was probably very old due to the low baby count. she died within a week of giving birth.
the adults were kept very well fed and temps at the rock in the center of the enclosure were in the low 90's, temps at the hides were in the mid 80's (this has been a while and I might be off a bit on the temp information). I used a 50/50 mixture of play sand and forest bed at a depth of several inches.
Ed

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that the best bet when receiving new scorps is too put them into their own seperate cages. For two reasons, one too make sure their eating and drinking(depending on spp). Two would be to make sure that the animal wont infect another cage mate. Shipping is very stressfull for an animal, and introducing it to a mate with them being a non-communal spp. could put it over the edge. Also if their infected with a smalll mite or some kind of unhealthyness it will really show after shipping.

Live and learn, I did with A male C. exilcauda, i didn`t give it enough time to adjust and sorta neglected enough water fearing it would raise the Humidity to much in its deli cup.

Mat

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, as in them being communal or not, I wouldn't over crowd them in a tank if being kept together. Mine got along ok after I introduced the male. They just didn't like people bothering them, other scorps are ok I guess. Maybe i'll get some more and see if they are communal or not. The male didn't look too good when I got him so I said the h*ll with it and put him in with the female. He never ate to my knowledge and I don't think he drank either. So I put him in (maybe they bred) but he didn't look good anyway(just skinny) so I thought I had nothing to loose. I saw they sitting next to each other with their claws shut, never saw them be defensive with each other when one was walking around the other.
Steve