Flat Rock Scorpion?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I still haven't got myself a scorpion(s) yet. I had been thinking about getting a Pandinus species such as a redclaw or a tricolor. But lately, I have really started to admire the flatrock scorpion. I really don't know too much about them except that they are a desert species.

Can they be kept communally? If so, what size of enclosure would I need to house 3 of them?

Are there any vividly colored flatrocks?

I think that I've read that their venom is even weaker than emerors. Is this true?

Which would be better for a first species: Flatrock or Pandinus species?

Thanks
Jon

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Jon,

Firstly, flatrocks are not really "desert" species, so to speak. I would classify them as a "scrubland" species, meaning they appreciate a bit more humidity (spraying a bit more frequently than with desert species works well).

They tend not to do so well when kept communaly and thus I would recommend 3 smaller enclosures (5 gallon is generous) for three of them.

There are several species of Hadogenes which vary in size and colouration. I wouldn't say that any are particularily vivid in colouration -- but then scorpions tend not to be as compared to Ts.

They have extrodinarily weak venom and are hesitant to sting. That being said, they do have nasty pinchers and tend to be a bit more skittish than the emperors. Keep in mind, however, that this is based soely on personal experiences and the accounts of others. You never know the temperment of an individual scorpion until you have tested it out.

What constitutes a good beginner species depends on what you are looking for. I would tend to say flat rock because the care is easier (no fussing over humidity and the likes), but there are really only small differences on the practical side of things. In the end, go with what turns your crank.

Cheers,
Dave

Scorpion Lover

Arachnopeon
hi

I think a P.Imperator would more prefreable 4 a begginer i have 1 and i am a begginer if myn has babies i will give u 1 Promise.Escuse my spelling i am only 10 years old:}

david

P.S- Flatrocks are good to, but its your choice! Good Luck!;)