Flat Rock (Hadogenes troglodytes) Not eating by itself

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
So I receive an adult male Flat Rock from Pincers and Pokies a few weeks ago and I have not seen him eat. He is fairly thin and not sure if wild caught. He will come out at night to explore but just ignores the crickets. I know my emperors usually eat like crazy so Im just a bit worried. A few nights ago I did put a cricket in front of him (using tongs) and sure enough he grabbed it and started chowing.

He is in a 10 gal with sand/peat mix, a nice stone fortress and a ceramic heater. It gets about 87 degrees in the day and about 80 at night. He also has a shallow water dish in the corner. Every night when the lights go off he comes out and either sits out in the open or explores. Should I be worried or am I over reacting? I know they can fast but as I said he is pretty thin. Im fairly new to scorps other than my two emps. I did order a 2i parabuthas, and a 2i cuban blue at the same time and they eat like pigs and are doing great.

Thanks for any help!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So I receive an adult male Flat Rock from Pincers and Pokies a few weeks ago and I have not seen him eat. He is fairly thin and not sure if wild caught. He will come out at night to explore but just ignores the crickets. I know my emperors usually eat like crazy so Im just a bit worried. A few nights ago I did put a cricket in front of him (using tongs) and sure enough he grabbed it and started chowing.

He is in a 10 gal with sand/peat mix, a nice stone fortress and a ceramic heater. It gets about 87 degrees in the day and about 80 at night. He also has a shallow water dish in the corner. Every night when the lights go off he comes out and either sits out in the open or explores. Should I be worried or am I over reacting? I know they can fast but as I said he is pretty thin. Im fairly new to scorps other than my two emps. I did order a 2i parabuthas, and a 2i cuban blue at the same time and they eat like pigs and are doing great.

Thanks for any help!
Flat Rocks like nice narrow crevices to squeeze into to feel secure, try some pieces of slate siliconed together or fixed so that they don.t fall.It,s more than likely wild caught and could be fairly old, and as it,s a male they do tend to go on hunger strikes. Also if it,s a large male you could try medium/large locust - too small a prey item probably not bothered - too large won,t bother 2/3 body size uaually good rule. Try one med/large locust once a week and he,ll eat when he wants to. slate terrace that he can squeeze into will make him feel more secure.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have one of these scorplings. It has been almost a year now. I think it has eaten three times...maybe. It hasn’t molted, nor does it ever show itself. So, welcome to H. troglodyte world.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your feedback makes me feel better. I love the look of my fella and as I mentioned he did eat 2 large crickets by me tong feeding him but I may try to feed him a locus. Ive never used locus as feeders so I'll look around. I was mostly worried as all my other scorps are fat cucumbers while he, not thin, is pretty skinny. I know they grow slow so I hope he is not too old yet. Again thank you!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's how it goes with Hadogenes, so you don't need to worry. They're a tough scorp.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
These scorps are the definition of "Glacial" in every single way. Super slow growth, barely eats, and LITERALLY LONG TO BREED :banghead:. The good thing is that they are hardy and live very long :D. Even wild caught can live for a while in captivity. I would not recommend breeding if you are not patient. My friend bred his H. troglodytes and the result was forever. Its literally longer than anything else when it comes to breeding. We waited over 15 months for her to give birth. And honestly, we given up after a year of waiting. We just concluded that she was just fat, since we fed her a lot after being bred. So i wouldn't recommend breeding these scorpions if it requires a lot of patience. In conclusion, its a great long living pet, and they don't require much for care and feeding, So enjoy your scorp, these guys are amazing, long living scorps. ;)