Five Poecilotheria species - Endangered status and limitations

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Did this sneak up on anyone else besides me? I recall a certain thread entitled something along the lines of “if you want to keep your pokies” that would get bumped maybe once every 6 months or so and if I remember correctly the general concensus was alls well in the Poec world.

Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Malo

Arachnopeon
Did this sneak up on anyone else besides me? I recall a certain thread entitled something along the lines of “if you want to keep your pokies” that would get bumped maybe once every 6 months or so and if I remember correctly the general concensus was alls well in the Poec world.

Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention.
You mean this stickied thread from 2014?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i suspect this may have been an aftershock of the T. selidonia (spelling?) issue that just happened an i worry that it is not the only one to expect. :(

After skimming through the rule, i can't help but feel like they are trying to force the extinction since they know that the hobby isn't an issue and are criminalizing it anyway...

Also, my interpretation is that it is illegal to cross state lines PERIOD even if i just move from one state to another and want to bring my collection.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
For example, ownership, possession, or keeping of a listed species that was legally acquired and not taken in violation of the Act is not prohibited by the Act—nor is interstate transport of animals that are not for sale, not offered for sale, or not transported in the course of a commercial activity.
Looks to me like you could even ship them as long as it wasn't a commercial act. I could be wrong on that but it looks like you'd be able to keep your collection should you move to another state.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wonder if it's legal to give them away. And if you just happen to have a Gofundme page for donations....;)

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
From what I can tell, owning them is perfectly legal. It's selling across state lines that is the issue. So if you've got stock to sell... sell it before August 30th (that's when the laws go into effect).
And then there are the people like me who don't have enough experience for pokies :( otherwise I'd buy some before then

If I understand this correctly you can sell them within a state though. But does every state have breeders of all those species?

I really want to know what the logic behind this was. Do they want to kill them off?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Does anyone know if there are any captive breeding of any poecilotheria species at any zoos or other institutions? I've never heard of any. From I've read their "protection" in India and Sri Lanka the rarer species won't have much a chance without some kind of captive breeding.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Does anyone know if there are any captive breeding of any poecilotheria species at any zoos or other institutions? I've never heard of any. From I've read their "protection" in India and Sri Lanka the rarer species won't have much a chance without some kind of captive breeding.
"The best scientific and commercial data available indicate that as of September 2017 there were only 19 specimens in captivity in zoos worldwide (11 P. fasciata, 1 P. ornata, 2 P. vitatta, 5 P. subfusca)"

Yeah...that's not exactly a high number. Out of those 19 from last year, how many of the same species are kept within the same facility? P. ornata got the short end of the stick, seeing as it wouldn't have a mate. Unless these numbers have increased (of which apparently there is no available data, according to USFWS), it doesn't look like it's a focus at the very least. That being said, with such incomplete information, no real way to call it. It certainly leans heavily though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So.. they don't want our spiders because they're all hobby "mutts", but still won't let us sell these "mutts" to whoever we want? Sounds like hypocrisy to me..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So.. they don't want our spiders because they're all hobby "mutts", but still won't let us sell these "mutts" to whoever we want? Sounds like hypocrisy to me..
I've been thinking this the entire time.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And then there are the people like me who don't have enough experience for pokies :( otherwise I'd buy some before then
It's only a dream, don't worry. A bad dream - probably caused by this unholy hot weather. Tomorrow you will wake up with your 'pokies' near you, and your EXP. level still at 99 :kiss:

:troll:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I doubt if any "thought" went into this. They're following the letter of the law with no real concern about the people who keep these animals or even the animals themselves.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I doubt if any "thought" went into this. They're following the letter of the law with no real concern about the people who keep these animals or even the animals themselves.
Uhm... when someone 'important' was concerned about the 'rights' of a bunch of people keeping T's? When was the last time? :pompous:

I tell to you (and to everyone) this: wait a minute before placing a bandage on your - not broken at the moment - head, for that only time will tell :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Uhm... when someone 'important' was concerned about the 'rights' of a bunch of people keeping T's? When was the last time? :pompous:

I tell to you (and to everyone) this: wait a minute before placing a bandage on your - not broken at the moment - head, for that only time will tell :)
"Uhm... when someone 'important' was concerned about the 'rights' of a bunch of people keeping T's?" - that's basically what I was saying:)