1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five Poecilotheria species - Endangered status and limitations

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by EulersK, Jul 31, 2018.

1. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    Yes I have. They bought them from someone out of state before the ban. No adult females...

• Sad Sad x 1
  2. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arthropodess Arachnosupporter

It was silly to think that after all the research you’d done that I could have found so quickly a breeder in-state that you missed. :sorry: I still hope that you can find an opportunity to breed him!

3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I’d take hundreds of “have you tried this person” posts if only just one of them would on out . I appreciate it :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm self employed (not in the T industry, sadly) but I certainly understand the business mindset. However, I personally believe that if we, as hobbyists, are expected to put some of our focus on these species' survival, that the business owners and breeders profiting off this industry should want to do so as well.

I don't think it's too high of an expectation to hope that a business would be willing to sacrifice some immediate profit to at least attempt to contribute to conservation efforts. I wouldn't give up my entire paycheck for the cause, but I would happily donate a portion of that paycheck - as well as my time and other resources - to contribute to the conservation of an endangered species... especially if my entire business was in an industry so closely aligned with conservation.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying anything about any of the breeders/businesses in this thread, and I'm sure that most of them already donate their time, money, and other resources to conservation efforts beyond simply breeding and selling Ts. I'm just saying I don't think it's out of the question to hope that they are.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but I look forward to the day when I am experienced enough to contribute to the procreation and survival of some of these endangered species within the hobby. I agree with you that the rarity (within the hobby) is likely overblown right now, and I am certainly optimistic that these species will still be around in a year or so when I feel experienced enough to get some poecs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1