fishing spiders

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
has anyone here kept thesebefore I found one yesterday and I need help setting up a tank for it so any idea would be appreciated

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John's spider is likley the genus Dolomedes. I've kept many of them. They can be kept in simple terrestrial set-ups much like a wolf spider or small tarantula, but that's not as much fun. A semi-aquatic set up as described in the site Martin linked to works well. I usually just use a small aquarium (2.5 gallon works great) with about 1-2" of water. A piece of drift wood or floating piece of cork bark makes an island. A few emergent plastic plants for looks and climbinbing/pearching areas completes the set up.

They like to sit with the first two pairs of legs spread out on the surface tension of the water, waiting for something to break the surface tension, be it a fish from below or an insect from above. They then dash out accross the water to capture it.

Wade

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Pisaurid's are probably my fav true spiders i found one of the prettiest P.mirabilis iv seen in years a few weeks back orange and white, Ancylometes are just awesome i don’t know how Dolomedes are as captives iv seen Dolomedes fimbriatus once in the wild and they are very nice indeed.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is a dolomedes.. actually my roomate caught it the other day so its his... he is amazed by it, he calles it bill dance dolomedes. but just bill for short.. it is an eating machine though... thanks for the tips