Fishing spider keepers.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Show me some pics of your habitats/inhabitants and share some experiences. I am very heavily considering obtaining one of these guys.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
very informative. Thank you very much!

Does anyone know where I can purchase any fishing spiders other than the common US dolomedes sp? Like say these SA Ancylomentes that are talked about in the link?

No one seems to sell araneomorphs. Ts are everywhere... but its rare to fins anything other than boring recluses or widows. I want some big "True Spiders"! And yes I hate that term too. I have found some dolomedes Tenn.... crap cant remember the species name... for sale and I will probobly grab one from carolina specialty pets and I found some russian wolfs that I will probobly pick up. But to be honest I find the large araneomorphs more interesting than Ts and no one sells them:(

So if you guys know of any distributors please link them here.

Thanks!

And also please do post your pics people!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know of anyone selling exotic fishing spiders and scant few other araneomorphs. Occasionally, exotic Nephila, lycosids, and sparassids turn up in the trade.

I've kept Dolomedes tenebrosus and D. trition before. Tenebrosus is bigger (3-4" legs span) but is less active than triton. Both do well in semi-aquatic set ups, I've kept them in 2.5 gallon aquariums with about 2" of water. A chunck of cork bark makes a raft, and I usually add a few artificial plants arranged so they stick out of the water. D. triton will sit with with the rear four legs on a plant or wood, while the other four are spread out on the surface tension of the water. When a cricket hits the water, it dashes out and snags it lighting-quick! They will also take small minnows or guppies. When startled, they'll retreat to the underside of the "raft" where special hairs hold an air bubble around their body, giving them a bizarre, metallic, liquid mercury appearance. Really cool!

Wade

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wade said:
I don't know of anyone selling exotic fishing spiders and scant few other araneomorphs. Occasionally, exotic Nephila, lycosids, and sparassids turn up in the trade.

I've kept Dolomedes tenebrosus and D. trition before. Tenebrosus is bigger (3-4" legs span) but is less active than triton. Both do well in semi-aquatic set ups, I've kept them in 2.5 gallon aquariums with about 2" of water. A chunck of cork bark makes a raft, and I usually add a few artificial plants arranged so they stick out of the water. D. triton will sit with with the rear four legs on a plant or wood, while the other four are spread out on the surface tension of the water. When a cricket hits the water, it dashes out and snags it lighting-quick! They will also take small minnows or guppies. When startled, they'll retreat to the underside of the "raft" where special hairs hold an air bubble around their body, giving them a bizarre, metallic, liquid mercury appearance. Really cool!

Wade

I am probobly going to grab the dolomedes from carolina pets... I sent him an email seeing if he can get any other large araneomorphs... we shall see. Wade, if you can collect any dolomedes, large, hogna or giant crab/huntsmans I would take them off your hands. I am looking at picking up three lare araneomorphs... any combo. But I prefer wolfs and fishers.