Fish/freshwater inverts compatibility question

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Hi, all

Sooo, remember my community invert freshwater tank post I did a while ago? I'll assume probably not, so here's the link. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/freshwater-community-paludarium-any-critique.305044/

(and in case you're wondering, I ditched the crayfish, leeches and giant prawn, amped up the amount of PEACEFUL shrimp and amphi/copepods)
I read something about some people suggesting I put some fish in, too. So, I was searching around for some fish, and I dug up these:

• Red Swordtails (5+x)
  • Ropefish (1x)
  • Bristlenose Pleco (1x)
  • Knifefish (1x)
  • Freshwater Flounder (3x)

And, while we're at it, does anyone know....

1: any good plant species that don't require CO2? Global Warming is a ginormous problem, so I don't wanna contribute my share, even if it's a very small output and "won't make a difference''.
2: anywhere where I can buy some huge hiding spaces for the knife/ropefish? I heard that both are really secretive and like to hide.
3: where to get a carpet of java moss by the bulk (except for one open spot for the flounders to conceal themselves, cause they like hiding-or will they be happy in a hiding cave? I dunno)
4: any cool-looking Betta Fish (males)? I know they'll clobber each other in tanks, but I heard that they'll leave other fish and inverts well alone.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I forgot how to edit things lmao. But I was also wondering, what temperature do Axolotls need, and can they be kept in a tank like this?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Axolotls are cool water animals (Low 60s). Looks like your list is more tropical, so I wouldn't recommend one. They also try and eat anything that can fit in their mouths, so as it grows, your fish are potential snacks rather than friends.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Axolotls are cool water animals (Low 60s). Looks like your list is more tropical, so I wouldn't recommend one. They also try and eat anything that can fit in their mouths, so as it grows, your fish are potential snacks rather than friends.
good point. Any tropical amphibians who won't make a meal out of everything?

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I have had betas eat neon tetras and cherry shrimp. Depends on the individual. Most of the fish you mentioned will eat any shrimp they come across. If the tank has enough cover some shrimp can out breed the predation.

Easy to grow plants that don't need co2:
Anubis
Java fern
Java moss
Water wisteria

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I have had betas eat neon tetras and cherry shrimp. Depends on the individual. Most of the fish you mentioned will eat any shrimp they come across. If the tank has enough cover some shrimp can out breed the predation.

Easy to grow plants that don't need co2:
Anubis
Java fern
Java moss
Water wisteria
Alrighty. Thanks so much man!

SquishySquid

Arachnopeon
Knifefish love to eat inverts. What type of knife specifically?

I’d say that if you put any type of shrimp or other crustacean in with a ropefish or knife it will vanish.

Most flounder sold as freshwater are actually brackish water fish and need the addition of marine salt to stay healthy or live out a full life. This will kill many of your inverts. Not to mention flounder also like shrimp.

Swordtails May also nip at or eat your smaller shrimp.

Stick to smaller fish like danios and small tetras. Maybe some of the smaller gourami species.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
[QUOTE="SquishySquid, post: 2785112, member: 127166"What type of knife specifically?

[/QUOTE]

I was going for a Black Ghost, not any of the larger species (especially the colossally colossal Clown Knife)

SquishySquid

Arachnopeon
[QUOTE="SquishySquid, post: 2785112, member: 127166"What type of knife specifically?
I was going for a Black Ghost, not any of the larger species (especially the colossally colossal Clown Knife)[/QUOTE]

Bad idea. They look small in dealers tanks but can grow to a foot or more. It will ignore small fish but eat every shrimp you have, even the ones you’d think would be too big. Insects and crustaceans are their natural prey.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I was going for a Black Ghost, not any of the larger species (especially the colossally colossal Clown Knife)
Bad idea. They look small in dealers tanks but can grow to a foot or more. It will ignore small fish but eat every shrimp you have, even the ones you’d think would be too big. Insects and crustaceans are their natural prey.[/QUOTE]

the tank is 300 gallons, but i'm not ignoring your advice at all-thanks! Yeah I heard they were peaceful around inverts and fish but with a diet and mouth like that...I don't care how cute they are, now that you bring it up they sound like certified shrimp killers lmao. Thanks dude!

SquishySquid

Arachnopeon
the tank is 300 gallons, but i'm not ignoring your advice at all-thanks! Yeah I heard they were peaceful around inverts and fish but with a diet and mouth like that...I don't care how cute they are, now that you bring it up they sound like certified shrimp killers lmao. Thanks dude!
They’re awesome fish, my favorite actually, but they find shrimp to be really tasty. I’d definately recommend for another tank