First timer keeping a scorpion

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks to everyone's helpfulness and tips the little lady started to eat officially :happy:. Yesterday she was very active and I wanted to give another shot on her appetite. And sure enough the little bug I gave it to her, she immediately snatched it from my tweezers and began to munch on it.

To stop cluttering the thread with pics and hinder loading times I've added them in a spoiler tag :).

I don't see a hide in those pics ?

Also , if there's any sponges or gel in the water dish remove it. Not saying there is but if there is.
Also the dish should be buried so thr top is substrate level.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't see a hide in those pics ?

Also , if there's any sponges or gel in the water dish remove it. Not saying there is but if there is.
Also the dish should be buried so thr top is substrate level.
Agree with almost everything. They don't really need the water at substrate level. They'll drink just fine from any water container. But if you ever have enough room a little substrate level pool is cool you'll see them bathe more often

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's definitely a Heterometrus species, but I don't think it's a H. spinifer. If you can get clear pictures of the carapace, chela, and 5th metasomal segment I can ID it for you.

As for care...

Provide at least 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) of moist substrate suitable for burrowing, a fairly large water dish, and a piece of bark to hide under. A heat source usually isn't even necessary, but since you have one, make sure that if you use the heat pad you put it on the side of the enclosure, not the bottom. Offer food every 7-14 days. Remove any uneaten prey items after a day or two and try again the following week. Don't worry about the exact temperature and humidity too much. As long as the substrate is moist, the water dish is full, and it's neither freezing or roasting in its enclosure, the scorpion will be just fine.

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Alright guys I've leveled the dish with the sub. There is a hide but I removed it for the pictures.

Here are more pics from the enclosure and close ups of the scorpion.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Alright guys I've leveled the dish with the sub. There is a hide but I removed it for the pictures.

Here are more pics from the enclosure and close ups of the scorpion.
Still looks a bit on the dry side although it could just be the light.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Still looks a bit on the dry side although it could just be the light.
No, not the light because you can see which pictures use flash and with and without flash I can tell it's too dry still.

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Yeah, where the scorpion lays it's dry. That's because that part is covered with the hide(between the two stones). I don't think I should remove her hide when spraying with water, or should I? I regularly mist the whole enclosure to keep the humidity above 70%.