First timer keeping a scorpion

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I've bought this little fella in April, but sadly he/she still didn't eat. Tried different "meals" to no avail. Doesn't even bother with whatever I give him crickets/worms/cockroaches, they continue to live like roommates :). It regularly drinks water, bathes in the pod, it's very active during night time but still doesn't want any kind of food. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

The scorpion is Heterometrus Spinifer if I'm not given something else :). Also if anyone knows to identify if it's male or female please tell me.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Scorpions tend to go on fasts every once in a while. Many of my scorpions have gone longer than a good 5 months without eating. Don't worry as long as you keep everything correctly he/she will eventually eat :) As of sexing, I'm not too good at it at all but my guess is that your spinifer is a male. @ArachnoDrew any thoughts?

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info Stugy.
It seemed "wrong" for me that since I bought the scorpion it hasn't eaten.Never seen it do so and I've thought I'm doing something wrong and killing the poor thing.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your substrate is bone dry. You will need a hygrometer and thermostat. Pour a little very warm water in there and mix it up a bit. Get the humidity to around 70%. Add a heat lamp (or heat pad) with a cheap 60 watt light bulb to stimulate it's appetite (for destruction...jk) and normal night/day cycle. A light isn't necessary but it provides some heat and can get your little dude eating on a regular basis. Put some kind of screen lid on it and cover it with something (like a towel or Rubbermaid container lid or thin sheet of acrylic) to keep the humidity and heat in but let some fresh air in there so don't cover it completely.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
These guys are jungle dwelling burrowerers. Your set up is incorrect.

Add at least 4x that substrate and dampen it heavily. A properly kept Heterometrus isn't a scorpion to be seen often.

I wouldn't bother with a hygrometer or thermometer. Scorps do like it warm, 75+. And keeping them too cool may weaken their appetite. Will certainly slow their growth. Same thing with the light, will just dry out the sub and make you do more maintenance. Just open a blind for the same effect. Careful not to allow direct sunlight on the cage.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I agree with everyone here. Completely forgot to mention the set-up as I didn't have the time to at the specific time. Keep in mind that these scorpions do become pet holes.

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Alright everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I've added more from the substrate and sprayed more water to bring up the humidity.
I have one of those temp+hygrometers from eBay(see pics). Also, I purchased a 14W heat pad so I can add it if necessary.
The temperature most of the time is around 27-28C without it. Please tell me if I should increase or decrease it.
I've also rearranged the setup a bit. Will add additionally wood, moss, plants to simulate a little jungle :).

Here are some pics:
Before

After

Now here is the heat pat. Should I add it immediately?

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

[/QUOTE]
Alright everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I've added more from the substrate and sprayed more water to bring up the humidity.
I have one of those temp+hygrometers from eBay(see pics). Also, I purchased a 14W heat pad so I can add it if necessary.
The temperature most of the time is around 27-28C without it. Please tell me if I should increase or decrease it.
I've also rearranged the setup a bit. Will add additionally wood, moss, plants to simulate a little jungle :).

Here are some pics:
Before

After

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah add the heat pad now, you can tape it on the back of the tank or underneath the tank but make sure there is air circulating underneath the tank so if the heat pad came with rubber feet be sure to use them. Your setup is looking good! :)

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Yeah add the heat pad now, you can tape it on the back of the tank or underneath the tank but make sure there is air circulating underneath the tank so if the heat pad came with rubber feet be sure to use them. Your setup is looking good! :)
Thanks for your answer xunicronx, just tell me at what temperature I should aim for? The pad has a small potentiometer so I can adjust it at the desired temp.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No problem Kuro, go for 80 degrees and see if he will start to eat. Try this temp for however long it takes maybe a few days or a week. If he isn't eating bump it up to 85 to see if he eats. Watch the temp every half hour or so until you can fine tune it. Make sure the inside of the tank isn't so wet too. There should be fine droplets of water on the inside of the glass. Humidity around 70%.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you got yourself a girl. You're set up is much better I would even add more substrate for burrowing but I think she'll be fine. Dont worry too much about feeding they can go a long time without food just keep offering a few bugs every couple days.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
No problem Kuro, go for 80 degrees and see if he will start to eat. Try this temp for however long it takes maybe a few days or a week. If he isn't eating bump it up to 85 to see if he eats. Watch the temp every half hour or so until you can fine tune it. Make sure the inside of the tank isn't so wet too. There should be fine droplets of water on the inside of the glass. Humidity around 70%.
Kurozukin this is given in Fahrenheit, I noticed you use Celsius, make sure to convert so as not to cook your scorp. Though I'm sure your heat mat can't go that hot. ..

Stugy

Arachnolord
Kurozukin this is given in Fahrenheit, I noticed you use Celsius, make sure to convert so as not to cook your scorp. Though I'm sure your heat mat can't go that hot. ..
lol 35C is about 100F xD I don't think anyone in the right mind would recommend 80C. :p

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd still add more sub.. these guys use all of it.
As for the hygrometer and heat mat.. just know that it - at least in the tarantula hobby- leads many beginners astray and leads to heavy overwatering or letting things get way too dry.

Never put it in the bottom. Those things are made for reptiles who like much higher temps. A burrowing scorp could seriously burn itself.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Offer food once a week. If it does not eat remove the prey item and try again the next week.

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
I also noticed you guys use Fahrenheit, so no worries there :p. I have added the heat pad on the side of the tank and turned it up to get around 28C=82F. Will monitor the temps today to find the right spot, also to see if her appetite increases(in the next few days).

Bonus shots under small UV light :)

Kurozukin

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone's helpfulness and tips the little lady started to eat officially :happy:. Yesterday she was very active and I wanted to give another shot on her appetite. And sure enough the little bug I gave it to her, she immediately snatched it from my tweezers and began to munch on it.

To stop cluttering the thread with pics and hinder loading times I've added them in a spoiler tag :).