First time molting ***TIME SENSITIVE**

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
The G. rosea that I've had for 1 year and 3 months finally molted. They started refusing food 4 months ago and the past month and a half have been webbing crazily all over. Last night around 10pm I caught them spinning a web mat/cradle in the corner and knew it was time. I woke up this morning around 10am to find the T flipped over… It is now 4pm and the molt isn't finished. I am kind of concerned. Jude looks about halfway? out of the old exoskeleton and just keeps occasionally squirming/struggling/pumping. Now their legs look stiff? Could they be caught ???? Is there anything I can do to help??? It's difficult to tell with the exuvium on top but it also looks like one of the pedipalps or front legs tore off or is injured?

cold blood

Staff member
A leg or palp ripped off in the process isn't a good sign....got a pic??

It can take a long time to get the job done, so far the timing isn't the concern.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
A pic would help greatly and also knowing what size it is could help. 10am-4pm is only 6 hours. It can easily take longer for some. It is a tiring endeavor for them, so they may be "resting" for a little while before it resumes the molting process.

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
When would time become concerning? and when/how should I remove the old exoskeleton from the terrarium?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
When would time become concerning? and when/how should I remove the old exoskeleton from the terrarium?
Adult G.porteri/rosea take a long time to molt but it should be done or at least wrapping up by now. But, you also asked when you can take the old exo out so I assume she's done? If so, I usually take mine out as soon as they're away from it; just try not to disturb the T too much. If you can't grab it without bothering her (like, she's on it) just wait. How big is the T?

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
It appears that the molt is finished and I was able to remove the old exoskeleton from the enclosure!!! The T's pedipalps look bulbous and one looks a bit injured (I'll post photos asap) so obviously this molt was his maturing molt. So does that mean Jude will no longer molt? The maturing one is the ultimate molt, correct? Because if it happens again, they typically don't survive it? What is the approx lifespan for a now mature adult "male" G. rosea? and How long before I should offer food or interact with Jude?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It appears that the molt is finished and I was able to remove the old exoskeleton from the enclosure!!! The T's pedipalps look bulbous and one looks a bit injured (I'll post photos asap) so obviously this molt was his maturing molt. So does that mean Jude will no longer molt? The maturing one is the ultimate molt, correct? Because if it happens again, they typically don't survive it? What is the approx lifespan for a now mature adult "male" G. rosea? and How long before I should offer food or interact with Jude?

If it was in fact the maturing molt, then yes, he will not molt again. But there are those who do a post-ultimate molt. Most die, but if the owner is successful at cutting the old exo off they can live. It's harder for MMs Roseas to molt because their tibual hooks and bulbous palps get stuck. I'm not sure about the lifespan, but I've heard it could be anywhere from a year to 2 years, (Open to correction)

Mature males don't eat much, but try feeding 2-3 weeks from now, just to be sure he's all hardened up,and don't panic if he doesn't eat. Don't interact with him, molting is very tiring process and he doesn't need any more stress.

If you're going to breed him, good luck with finding a female. Maybe with the imports from Chile banned the slings would be more expensive?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If it was in fact the maturing molt, then yes, he will not molt again. But there are those who do a post-ultimate molt. Most die, but if the owner is successful at cutting the old exo off they can live. It's harder for MMs Roseas to molt because their tibual hooks and bulbous palps get stuck. I'm not sure about the lifespan, but I've heard it could be anywhere from a year to 2 years, (Open to correction)

Mature males don't eat much, but try feeding 2-3 weeks from now, just to be sure he's all hardened up,and don't panic if he doesn't eat. Don't interact with him, molting is very tiring process and he doesn't need any more stress.

If you're going to breed him, good luck with finding a female. Maybe with the imports from Chile banned the slings would be more expensive?
My MM only lasted 9 months after maturing; he attempted post-ultimate and it was so bad, there was just no saving him. He ate readily while he was alive though, so I can't say it was a typical case. Still, something to keep in mind. I was very surprised when he died, because I'd heard 1-2 years was the norm for G.porteri/rosea males.