[First time keeper] Help identifying spider

CatTricks

Arachnopeon
Hi, total spider newbie here. I found what I believe is a giant house spider in my home recently and decided it would be fun to keep him/her so I can start to learn how to care for spiders. I've never seen such a large spider before! I'd really appreciate help with identification and gender. I've read if it's a mature male, it's a better idea to just let him go so he can find a mate before he dies. I want to make sure I do the right thing here. Pics attached.

Attachments

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
I was wrong :)
Hi, total spider newbie here. I found what I believe is a giant house spider in my home recently and decided it would be fun to keep him/her so I can start to learn how to care for spiders. I've never seen such a large spider before! I'd really appreciate help with identification and gender. I've read if it's a mature male, it's a better idea to just let him go so he can find a mate before he dies. I want to make sure I do the right thing here. Pics attached.
[/QUO looks like a wolf spider male

Last edited:

CatTricks

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply. Is there a particular reason you're thinking wolf spider vs. giant house spider? I've got pics of both pulled up and it still looks more like a giant house spider to me. I could definitely be wrong though.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply. Is there a particular reason you're thinking wolf spider vs. giant house spider? I've got pics of both pulled up and it still looks more like a giant house spider to me. I could definitely be wrong though.
@CatTricks You are right, it is definitely not lycosid but agelenid. Most likely Eratigena duellica.
Yeah I have wolf spiders that are very large around my house but I looked up giant house spider and your right. Sorry I’m still working on my identification abilities 😂

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Any idea if it's male or female by chance?
Pics are ambiguous there. Palps appear to be slightly enlarged so a pre penultimate male or ?
FYI, lycosa = no spinnerets and rear view mirror eyes. (At the sides and directed slightly behind it. The obvious indicator nearly unique to Lycos.)

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Wow. Looks similar but way cooler than the Grass Spider I've been housing. Is it very fast? Mine straight-up teleports. It's a wonder I haven't lost it yet. LOL.

CatTricks

Arachnopeon
Wow. Looks similar but way cooler than the Grass Spider I've been housing. Is it very fast? Mine straight-up teleports. It's a wonder I haven't lost it yet. LOL.
She's super fast! I believe the giant house spider holds the Guinness Book of World Records for top spider speed.