What Was Your First Tarantula?

buzz182

Arachnosquire
First was a Grammostola rosea when I was eight, grandfather bought it me for Christmas as my parents would never have let me have it otherwise. Had her for 5 years but when i was 13 I had to sell it when my parents divorced and we moved away. fast forward 20 years and I got my second T a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked and already planning for my next.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
First was a Grammostola rosea when I was eight, grandfather bought it me for Christmas as my parents would never have let me have it otherwise. Had her for 5 years but when i was 13 I had to sell it when my parents divorced and we moved away. fast forward 20 years and I got my second T a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked and already planning for my next.
I was the kid that would pick up garden Spiders on school grounds and let her walk around on my hand. Usually ending up with Mittens made out of silk.

JackJackula

Arachnopeon
Just got my first 3 slings at an expo in April, I picked up a Psalmopoeus irminia, Psalmopoeus cambridgei, and a Grammastola pulchripes! Definitely addicted and looking to acquire more. :)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
My first T was a B. hamorii, bought as a wee sling early in 2016:

Now a beautiful and feisty lady! :D
Only took two years?

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
My 1st T was a juvie Avic metallica (or avic avic morphotype 8 or something like that) in Jan 2017 ^_^ now I have 40 - and counting!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
My first T was a 3/4” GBB sling. I didn’t find AB before I made the purchase, so I ignorantly put in in a TEN gallon tank, LOL!!

I found AB shortly after I got it and got it into an appropriate habitat in short order.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Only took two years?
Yep! I don’t know exactly how old or what instar she was when I got her, but she could not have been more than a year. It seemed fast to me too, but then I had a male B. albo mature even faster. I’m guessing it’s because I fed them plenty and it gets warm in the bedroom/T-room a good portion of the year. My Aphonopelma, meanwhile, grow at their own slow pace no matter what.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My first-first T was a wild caught A. iodius MM. My first purchased tarantula was a female A. moderatum. I fell out of tarantula keeping when my A. moderatum died. When I got back in, I purchased four slings all together: B. emilia, B. smithi, G. pulchripes, and A. geniculata.

ECH

Arachnopeon

Wow! How big is she?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
In 1986 (or so) I was sold a "Woolly tarantula" (likely a B albopilosum or G rosea, remember, long pre-internet and ready information) as a mature adult. Had it for another 10 plus years. Was a nice, docile little brown T. Would take one exactly like it in a heart-beat. Never a threat posture. Always ate. Never minded being handled when necessary. Always entertaining. Loved that little beast.

SpooderLady008

Arachnopeon
My first T was one of the Aphonopelma sp. that live in the foothills of California.

I had a friend who had two mature males in a tank together and when they started fighting she asked me if I wanted one. So I said yes. His name was Critter and he wasn't the best first experience with a T, what with his distressing need to roam constantly in search of booty. He died unfullfilled. I almost let it sour my desire to have more until the kind people of another T forum convinced me to take some free female T's and that they would be a far more enjoyable experience. They were right.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Mine was a female A. chalcodes I got as a kid and had until I moved out of the house. I went many years without Ts and then got a C. versicolor last year, followed by a few more ;)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
An Aphonopelma eutylenum I caught near my house when I was about 10 years old or so.

Tearsacid

Arachnopeon
Nice! Mine was a native caught T as well. It was an A. Hentzi or Texas Brown & caught when I was about 8. I would always explore & collect all sorts of bugs & critters but I always felt bad for taking them form their homes so I would only keep them for a few days (enough time to research and observe them) & then release them back. Then seach for my next =)
So my 1st T was just babysat by me for about a week. I've kept so many that way. :)

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I need tood
I was planning on buying two Ts but was talked down to get just one and that one is going to be the Grammostola pulchripes.
The second one was going to be a curly hair. If all things go well. I hope to see it tomorrow or the next day.
It arrived on the 11th and I emden up getting two. The curly hair was a Freebie.

Meet Rumpelstiltskin and Coconut.

Attachments

Last edited: