What Was Your First Tarantula?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The first tarantula I got was a 3/4" L. parahybana sling, which is now about 2.5" after molting a few days ago and also confirmed female. :p

fullsizeoutput_8fd.jpeg

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So I’m curious to know different peoples first T! I know most first T’s are a B. hamorii, G. rosea, B. albipilosum, GBB, etc. but feel free to tell a funny story about your first tarantula.
Mine was a mature female Avicularia avicularia that my mother (who hates spiders) gave me for my birthday in 2013. The previous owner had her set up terrestrially, with a log laid horizontally on the substrate. She also told my mom that the tarantula was seven years old and "likes to be petted." (My mom seemed kind of disappointed that I would not continue petting her.)

My first attempt at rehousing was funny. I thought I could prod her onto my hand and then just transfer her to the new enclosure. Wrong. She immediately bolted up my arm and around to my back. Fortunately, when I put my back to the new enclosure, she went right in, but I am lucky she did not jump to her death.

She lived with me for four petting-free years until she died last March during a bad molt.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
My first was g. Rosea when I was about 9-10 years old (roughly 25 years ago lol). Had it for quite sometime then sold to a collector who had tattoos of many of spiders on his arms and chest. That's something I remember from childhood. Then out of keeping tarantulas for a while. When my house flooded in 2016 I lost most of my fish I had raised for several years and had to tear down my 250 gal tank. And since have been bouncing around with nowhere to really keep fish anymore. So one day I said if I can't have my fish anymore I'm getting back into keeping big spiders lol. So I bought b. Hamorii, gbb and L.p. Slings and a sexed female a. Geniculata. Then after a little while I got one of my dream t's, a sexed juvie t. Stirmi who is in premolt at this time.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Selenotypus plumipes , followed days later by 3 Phlogius sp. 'stents'.

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
My first T was an A. avic, whom I got a little over a month ago. I call her pinkie and she cracks me up every time I feed her. As soon as she feels the cricket moving at the end of my tongs, she jumps on the tongs and takes the cricket then gets onto the side of her cage where she proceeds to spin around in circles with it. I have no idea what she is trying to accomplish but it's funny to watch.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
My first T was my beautiful Eauthlus Sp red , and their still my favourite out of my 37 , everyone should have they are sooo cute

Death Derp

Arachnopeon
My first T is an aphonopelma chalcodes. but they give me a freebie so I also started with lasiodora parahybana. I'm a beginner, just got them yesterday.

Tay94

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchra is my first, got her recently. I wanted one as soon as I saw how pretty their jet black hair could be. I grew up with an all black cat named 'Spider' when I was a kid, so naturally, her name is Kitten :)

20180324_164804.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I call her pinkie and she cracks me up every time I feed her. As soon as she feels the cricket moving at the end of my tongs, she jumps on the tongs and takes the cricket then gets onto the side of her cage where she proceeds to spin around in circles with it. I have no idea what she is trying to accomplish but it's funny to watch.
That is the "happy dance." She is wrapping her prey in silk. (If you look closely, you will see silk coming out of the spinnerets, which she will step over as she turns.)

If you're happy and you know it, spin around!
If you're happy and you know it, then your legs will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, wrap your prey!
If you're happy and you know it, then your silk will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, mash it up!
If you're happy and you know it, then your fangs will surely show it.

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
That is the "happy dance." She is wrapping her prey in silk. (If you look closely, you will see silk coming out of the spinnerets, which she will step over as she turns.)

If you're happy and you know it, then your legs will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, then your silk will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, then your fangs will surely show it.
OMG That is hilariously great!!! I love it!! I'll have to watch a little closer next time I feed her, I love watching her spin!

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
My first was actually four! A B hamorii turned into also getting a B albo, a B vagans, and an E sp red. They're funny little guys/gals that are a joy to watch do their thing :) Best part of coming home from work is to look in on them and see what they've done new.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
So I’m curious to know different peoples first T! I know most first T’s are a B. hamorii, G. rosea, B. albipilosum, GBB, etc. but feel free to tell a funny story about your first tarantula. Or if there’s people like me who have had a weird first tarantula that isn’t a common beginner species? My first T was a Hapelopelma minax. I got her about 2 years ago and she’s about 3-4” now.
Rook the brachepelma albopilosum 0.5" and I think it's gone into pre molt for the first time

Minty

@londontarantulas
5cm DLS C.cyanepubescens was my first. Now a confirmed male named Fatty.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I was planning on buying two Ts but was talked down to get just one and that one is going to be the Grammostola pulchripes.
The second one was going to be a curly hair. If all things go well. I hope to see it tomorrow or the next day.