First Tarantula tips

ArdorSeemanni

Arachnopeon
got a Female A.Seemanni last sunday(2/11) at the whiteplains expo from Jungle Joe, and I already became attached despite the fact that she wasn't my intended purchase, if anything I wasn't interested in taking care of tarantulas, I'm a scorpion person, but to the point, I'm looking for tips that would help with her care, she's doing really well right now, I guess the tips I'm more interested in is in regards feeding, I plan on feeding her every Wednesday,Friday & Sunday(Dubia roaches), I had a tough time feeding her for the first couple of days I had her(she eventually ate)

The Enclosure

Ardor

kudos if you get the irony in her name

NOTE: I know I know, I'm using a heating pad for people but as of right now she's using it till I get her one.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I plan on feeding her every Wednesday,Friday & Sunday(Dubia roaches),
Cancel two of those feedings....I would feed a roach every 7-14 days depending on the size of the roach. There's no need to rush the feedings, it will only lead to a t that fasts for months at a time.

I'm using a heating pad for people but as of right now she's using it till I get her one.
As long as your temps stay over 67, 68, you are fine. If you need to heat, direct heat sources are dangerous, as are lamps. Top use a pad safely, you should heat a larger enclosure with the pad, and place the enclosure with the t, inside that larger enclosure. This turns a dangerous direct heat, into a safer secondary heat.

Much like a moth to a flame, a t will be drawn to a heat source...and like that moth, the t will also be drawn to its detriment.

Remove whatever that weaved round thing, and use a much, much bigger water dish...that's more of a sling sized water dish.

ArdorSeemanni

Arachnopeon
Cancel two of those feedings....I would feed a roach every 7-14 days depending on the size of the roach. There's no need to rush the feedings, it will only lead to a t that fasts for months at a time.

As long as your temps stay over 67, 68, you are fine. If you need to heat, direct heat sources are dangerous, as are lamps. Top use a pad safely, you should heat a larger enclosure with the pad, and place the enclosure with the t, inside that larger enclosure. This turns a dangerous direct heat, into a safer secondary heat.

Much like a moth to a flame, a t will be drawn to a heat source...and like that moth, the t will also be drawn to its detriment.
Thanks for the reply, I'll do the heat now, I just need it for now since it's still kinda cold, in the summer none of my pets will need a pad or lamp.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1. Ditch the heat pad, unless you happen to live in a fridge then it'll be fine at room temperature (anything over 70F is fine).
2. Feed once a week at most, ideally once a fortnight.
3. I'd add more substrate, this species is known to burrow and you need to make sure that the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure is no more than 1.5x the tarantula's leg span.
4. I'd also get a larger water dish (don't worry, tarantulas are stupidly hard to drown), this species does appreciate a bit of moisture in the substrate as well but don't go overboard.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If I'm not mistaken, that enclosure is quite high with way too less substrate. This species likes to burrow, even as adults. So, I'd add loads more substrate (with some parts of it a bit moist). And give her a bigger water dish. ;)

Here's a nice little husbandry vid:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How's this?
Much better!

But I would also replace that screen lid, as a tarantula that climbs up there (and sometimes even terrestrial tarantulas will try to get on their ceilings) could get its tarsal claws stuck in the mesh. If that happens, it is likely to amputate the stuck leg and/or fall in an attempt to get free.

A common replacement is acrylic with holes drilled into it. If you're handy, you can make an entirely new lid. If you're less handy, here is @basin79's fix:

See also: Replace screen tops!