First T, Repetitive Questions

katara317

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!

I recently adopted an a. geniculata, and s/he is my first T. ever. I had a couple of questions that I wanted to pose here, instead of care sheets, after hearing how inaccurate they are. I'm happy to provide pics of anything on request.

1) Laying down webs
S/he hasn't been in their new terrarium for more than a week, and I was wondering when is "normal" for a T to lay down webs in their new homes. Of course every T is different, but I just want to make sure s/he is happy.

2) Wall climbing?
I've caught my T up in the top corner of their terrarium near the ventilation holes. I don't know what this means. Is s/he needing some adjustment to their terrarium, or just being curious? S/he is in a 7 gal sterilite container with drilled (and carefully sanded) ventilation holes in the top of the wall and lid. I know as s/he grows I'll need to transfer them to a bigger one. I used 1 inch of eco-earth damp bedding for them, and they aren't near any fans or things causing vibrations (that I can tell). Advise?

3) Age and sizing?
This question must be talked to death here, so sorry for repetition. I know I'm supposed to measure them from the 4th leg to the cross 1st leg for size, but how do you do that without harming or handling the spider or getting showered in hairs? Is it just estimating? I don't want to handle them when they just moved into a new environment AND have those dang hairs! Once I get a size on them, can I use that to estimate their age? The pet store I got them at was useless in telling me anything about them. Including sex. (FYI I'm going to try sexing them once they go through their first molt with me).

4) Humidity Control
I live in Oregon, a place with low low humidity. Any tips on maintaining a relatively high humidity for my T? I have a spray bottle. How often could I flood the water dish to help without putting my T at risk?

Thanks everyone!

cold blood

Staff member
1) Laying down webs
S/he hasn't been in their new terrarium for more than a week, and I was wondering when is "normal" for a T to lay down webs in their new homes. Of course every T is different, but I just want to make sure s/he is happy.
Different species lay web at vastly different rates....A. genculata doesn't web much at all.
2) Wall climbing?
I've caught my T up in the top corner of their terrarium near the ventilation holes. I don't know what this means. Is s/he needing some adjustment to their terrarium, or just being curious? S/he is in a 7 gal sterilite container with drilled (and carefully sanded) ventilation holes in the top of the wall and lid. I know as s/he grows I'll need to transfer them to a bigger one. I used 1 inch of eco-earth damp bedding for them, and they aren't near any fans or things causing vibrations (that I can tell). Advise?
Climbing is a normal part of acclimation...in time, this should subside.

3) Age and sizing?
This question must be talked to death here, so sorry for repetition. I know I'm supposed to measure them from the 4th leg to the cross 1st leg for size, but how do you do that without harming or handling the spider or getting showered in hairs? Is it just estimating? I don't want to handle them when they just moved into a new environment AND have those dang hairs! Once I get a size on them, can I use that to estimate their age? The pet store I got them at was useless in telling me anything about them. Including sex. (FYI I'm going to try sexing them once they go through their first molt with me).
Measuring is either done by estimation or catching the t in a position that leads to measurement...like when they are on the wall and you can put a ruler right up to them.

Age is pretty irrelevant, and unless you bred the t, or got it directly from the breeder, you likely won't know the age.

10 people could raise 10 of the same species to 3" and sizes could range from 1" to a full grown mature adult. Husbandry, and the individual ts growth play a part, as does temps and feeding. Despite 10 people all having different size ts, all 10 could very well be doing an excellent job.

4) Humidity Control
I live in Oregon, a place with low low humidity. Any tips on maintaining a relatively high humidity for my T? I have a spray bottle. How often could I flood the water dish to help without putting my T at risk?
Humidity is completely irrelevant. Ts that claim to need humidity, merely need to have damp substrate. Ignore the term humidity. All you need with a genic is a water dish and an occassional dampening of an area.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
4) Humidity Control
Instead of the spray bottle, what really will help you is the cheap, classic plastic pipette. Use this for pour (room temperature) water in the substrate when needed. Never wet, just a bit of moist here and there, like @cold blood said.

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Welcome and congrats on your first tarantula! :)

I just wanted to add, can you post a photo of your T and the whole enclosure?

A 7 gallon enclosure with only 1 inch of substrate sounds like it leaves a ton of open space/height, depending on the enclosure/T size but I could be wrong. Photos would help in case there's anything else we can help with!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

I recently adopted an a. geniculata, and s/he is my first T. ever. I had a couple of questions that I wanted to pose here, instead of care sheets, after hearing how inaccurate they are. I'm happy to provide pics of anything on request.

1) Laying down webs

2) Wall climbing?

3) Age and sizing?

4) Humidity Control

Thanks everyone!
1. Whey they are ready, this isn't a science

2. IF in a new setup going vertical is the norm

3.Carefully, with a ruler when the opportunity presents itself

4. Humidity should not be an issue generally. I never spray, I never flood water dishes.