First Snake Options

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've been wanting to get a snake for some time now, and while it may still not happen for a while (space issues), I figure I can still do plenty of research and get opinions from the various AB snake keepers. The ones I'm looking at for a first are milk snake, king snake, and hognose snake (wanting a hognose even more now that I've seen @basin79's pics of his tricolor). Any other recommendations? Handling is pretty low priority, but I'd prefer not to get something super bitey either. I've got experience with bearded dragons and crested geckos and I helped care for a friends sand boa a few times when he was doing fieldwork, so I'm not too new when it comes to herps.

I'll probably be getting one of the smaller tortoises when I have more room as well (and a yard for an outdoor enclosure).

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Anything Pantherophis. :D Corn snakes may be too common and overbred, but they are still great snakes (especially in natural and anery form). Black/western rat snake is amazing and majestic animal, and my favorite is definitely yellow/eastern rat snake. Rat snakes are known to be more temperamental sometimes, but all ones I worked with were total pets. :)

Thamnophis
are becoming quite popular recently and recomended as doable for begginers, but I dont have personal experience with them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What about a rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus)? Their diet is insects so you can use the livefood you already have for tarantulas etc.

Whilst I absolutely love Harley Quinn if you give hognose snakes the depth of sub they need (and you should) you'll rarely see them above the surface.

Spotted/childrens python are small constrictors. Sand boas and rough scaled sand boas are bonny little snakes but again live under sub.

I Haz Lysdexia

Arachnopeon
What about a rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus)? Their diet is insects so you can use the livefood you already have for tarantulas etc.
I would argue against any Opheodrys as a beginner snake. They can be difficult to get to feed and stress/decline quickly in mediocre conditions. They're also threatened under large parts of their range due to collection for the pet trade. Sand boas, ball pythons, corns, and hognoses are all better, hardy options that you can handle, too.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I would argue against any Opheodrys as a beginner snake. They can be difficult to get to feed and stress/decline quickly in mediocre conditions. They're also threatened under large parts of their range due to collection for the pet trade. Sand boas, ball pythons, corns, and hognoses are all better, hardy options that you can handle, too.
I agree with @I Haz Lysdexia here, very bad option for begginer.

My dream snakes. One day ...
Are there not plenty of CB ones now? Certainly wouldn't advise a WC snake full stop.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anything Pantherophis. :D Corn snakes may be too common and overbred, but they are still great snakes (especially in natural and anery form). Black/western rat snake is amazing and majestic animal, and my favorite is definitely yellow/eastern rat snake. Rat snakes are known to be more temperamental sometimes, but all ones I worked with were total pets. :)

Thamnophis
are becoming quite popular recently and recomended as doable for begginers, but I dont have personal experience with them.
I think that might be part of it, it's so darn hard to find a natural form of corn snakes that I just completely pass on them anymore. I found a nice rat snake in southern Illinois when it was crossing the road a couple years ago. Beautiful animal but what a bastard it was lol. Hissing, striking, crapping everywhere, the whole nine yards. Fortunately I had a bucket on me though since it was about to cross into some people's yards and the kid was asking his dad if he should get the gun. As mean as it was I wasn't going to let it go down like that.

I'd actually wondered about garter snakes. I've seen the various species (subspecies?) popping up recently, so they must be fairly easy to work with. I found a huge female at the end of winter one year and what a beauty she was. Promptly crapped on me though when I tried to pick her up. Ah well, if it's not that it's grasshoppers puking on me when I catch them lol.

Whilst I absolutely love Harley Quinn if you give hognose snakes the depth of sub they need (and you should) you'll rarely see them above the surface.

Spotted/childrens python are small constrictors. Sand boas and rough scaled sand boas are bonny little snakes but again live under sub.
Kind of a shame they stay hidden, but if it's what's best for the snake then that's what matters. At least then when they're out you can truly enjoy them.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Are there not plenty of CB ones now? Certainly wouldn't advise a WC snake full stop.
Not sure how common CB specimens are, it would be good news. But even with CB ones I still wouldnt consider them good choice for begginer.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I think you’re on the right track for beginner species. Corn snakes are always around and very popular (overbred, just like BPs). Out of what you specified I’d definitely recommend a hog nose or milksnake. Hog nose stay fairly small (considering all snakes), can be pretty chill and are rear fanged (are actually somewhat venomous, trick is they have to get you with their rear fangs; gnaw on you). Their venom isn’t much either way and shouldn’t be a worry. They are very docile. As you have seen the hog nose have been a very popular species in the reptile community and there are many different subspecies being found and different morphs being produced. Milksnakes are also pretty awesome and offer some crazy colors with each subspecies!! I’d say you’d be good with either one. They don’t require much space like other larger species do. They both are fairly easy as far as husbandry goes. Let us know what you pick!

Cheers!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not sure how common CB specimens are, it would be good news. But even with CB ones I still wouldnt consider them good choice for begginer.
Whilst I can see your point someone already familiar with reptile care I wouldn't necessarily see them as a beginner.

That typed there are the Brachypelma of snakes out there that are beautiful.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
There are some good suggestions here. Cant go wrong with some of the more common North American colubrids like kings, rats, corns etc. There is the ever present ball python as well, but they require a little extra care then North American natives, but not much. Children's pythons and Kenyan sand boas are good choices as well, if more obscure. Bull and gopher snakes could be considered if you want more of a challenge, but they can be quite nippy and huffy when young and adults who aren't handled often can be quite cantankerous. Stay away from large constrictors like retics, burms, african rocks etc. Also, leave the more arboreal snakes like GTP's and amazon tree boas for the future. These have quite an attitude and some less forgiving care requirements. Finally, there are some high strung species that are cheap, but should be avoided like the various racers and coachwhips. These are usually all wild caught and fair poorly unless given large amounts of space to be active. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
--Matt

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have no interest in the giant snakes fortunately, so no worries there :) My wife and I came across a beautiful constrictor at an animal expo in Illinois a few years ago, but I can't remember the name. The seller said they only got to about 6 ft. (I think it was Dumeril's?), but I want to get experience with other snakes first. Children's python is new to me, but I'm a big fan! They're beautiful little snakes.

I've thought about ball pythons, but I think it's similar to the corn snakes, overbred and I don't really feel like keeping up with or paying huge amounts of money for morphs.

The arboreal stuff is definitely for another day, they're not the snakes for me. Gorgeous yes, but way beyond my abilities. That and I know they're very willing to bite. I figure bites can happen no matter what species you're dealing with, but at this point I'm not really wanting something that is ready and willing lol.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If you are thinking about a garter snake, just remember they STINK. I'd do a kingsnake, love their colors.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The arboreal stuff is definitely for another day, they're not the snakes for me. Gorgeous yes, but way beyond my abilities. That and I know they're very willing to bite. I figure bites can happen no matter what species you're dealing with, but at this point I'm not really wanting something that is ready and willing lol.
They are extremely gorgeous and the morphs for snakes like GTP's are breathtaking. Google Ella Diablo, she was probably the most famous. Also, while you're there, look up an image of a green tree python skull. All snakes can tag you, but GTP's can be serious. They have monster fangs used to snag and hold birds from the air.

Thanks,
--Matt

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are extremely gorgeous and the morphs for snakes like GTP's are breathtaking. Google Ella Diablo, she was probably the most famous. Also, while you're there, look up an image of a green tree python skull. All snakes can tag you, but GTP's can be serious. They have monster fangs used to snag and hold birds from the air.

Thanks,
--Matt
Wow, that's incredible! I didn't know you could get morphs like that. I'd seen their skulls before, definitely not something to mess around with!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think, out of all the options, a milk snake would be best for you :) They are colourful, docile, easy snakes.

Niclou69

Arachnopeon
If you don't plan on handling I would definitely go with a corn or milk snake over any boa or python. My boa hides constantly. The only time I ever see more than his face sticking out of his hide is when I take him out for handling. My corn on the other hand is out almost everyday, and she's really entertaining to watch.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I've been wanting to get a snake for some time now, and while it may still not happen for a while (space issues), I figure I can still do plenty of research and get opinions from the various AB snake keepers. The ones I'm looking at for a first are milk snake, king snake, and hognose snake (wanting a hognose even more now that I've seen @basin79's pics of his tricolor). Any other recommendations? Handling is pretty low priority, but I'd prefer not to get something super bitey either. I've got experience with bearded dragons and crested geckos and I helped care for a friends sand boa a few times when he was doing fieldwork, so I'm not too new when it comes to herps.

I'll probably be getting one of the smaller tortoises when I have more room as well (and a yard for an outdoor enclosure).
" The Gentle Gems of North America " AKA Rosy Boas - Goggle it I think you''ll agree. Best of luck with your search.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think that might be part of it, it's so darn hard to find a natural form of corn snakes that I just completely pass on them anymore. I found a nice rat snake in southern Illinois when it was crossing the road a couple years ago. Beautiful animal but what a bastard it was lol. Hissing, striking, crapping everywhere, the whole nine yards. Fortunately I had a bucket on me though since it was about to cross into some people's yards and the kid was asking his dad if he should get the gun. As mean as it was I wasn't going to let it go down like that.

I'd actually wondered about garter snakes. I've seen the various species (subspecies?) popping up recently, so they must be fairly easy to work with. I found a huge female at the end of winter one year and what a beauty she was. Promptly crapped on me though when I tried to pick her up. Ah well, if it's not that it's grasshoppers puking on me when I catch them lol.

Kind of a shame they stay hidden, but if it's what's best for the snake then that's what matters. At least then when they're out you can truly enjoy them.
I just started with snakes last winter too :)
My starter is a Thamnophis marcianus lady, well, toddler, she's 30cm long or so, barely a year old. I like her a lot, but she's really flighty and nervous, but I've been told that may pass when she has some more size, and I'm feeding her outside her enclosure which made her a bit more favorable to being handled. That's the only time I handle her for now, maybe when she grows up I'll handle her more.
I like the fact that she won't get like 3 meters long or something so I don't need to get her her own room in the future :smug:

She eats fish, which I buy frozen in bulk for her and very cheap. You need to be careful with species of fish that contain thiamine. This can trigger thiaminasis, which can potentially kill a Thamnophis species.

This breeder has a very outstanding reputation both in NL as internationally and has a ton of research and info available:
https://stevenbolgartersnakes.com

Snake Discovery has some nice info on them too on YouTube.

My next 'goal' will be a Pantherophis spp, which I have read has been referred to as a couch potato, and maybe a Heterodon (Hognose) spp because they are so hissy fitty, and I like their build and colors.

One thing that stands out though, keeping snakes is waaaaay more expensive than keeping inverts :eek:
I used to say I want an invert for my birthday but now I need to save up way more, lol. Especially for the Hognose....