First Scorpion

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Hello all I am looking to get my first scorpion I am looking at a centruroides gracilis because I really like the look of them. I have been reading around on here and they don't seem to difficult to take care of. I just want to know what a good substrate would be for them. What kinda temps are good for them, and if I can eventually keep them communally. The ones I am looking at are tiny. Would a heat mat be a good idea when they get a little bigger because at the size they are at I don't think I could attach a heat mat to the deli cups i would have them in. That is why I need to good temps until then. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I would suggest H spinifer. It's a high humidity species with fairly weak venom. The behavior is highly defensive at the proper temps, good preparation for an old world tarantula.

Unlike spiders, they can't run up glass or acrylic.

They have a variety of interesting behaviors and don't just stay hidden 24/7.

I'm whitelightning777 on YouTube and I have an entire playlist devoted to this scorpion and the surprise scorplings, which happens with wild caught females a lot.

The emperor scorp is generally considered the best starter one but they're hard to get for some reason.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
I would suggest H spinifer. It's a high humidity species with fairly weak venom. The behavior is highly defensive at the proper temps, good preparation for an old world tarantula.

I'm whitelightning777 on YouTube and I have an entire playlist devoted to this scorpion and the surprise scorplings, which happens with wild caught females a lot.

The emperor scorp is generally considered the best starter one but they're hard to get for some reason.
Alright I’ll check out your channel I appreciate the response!

mazzzz

Arachnosquire

I can't find your youtube channel

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Centruroides gracilis makes for a good first hot species and honestly and as long as you're careful and show them respect they can make a good general starter. Biggest thing to keep in mind is never put your hands in the enclosure, always use long forceps. I use cocofiber for all my arboreal scorps and they don't have any issues with it. You can put them together when they get older, but as younger instars there's a higher chance of cannibalism. Room temp or a little bit warmer is fine. If you want to add a heat mat eventually, make sure you put it on the side of the enclosure.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Centruroides gracilis makes for a good first hot species and honestly and as long as you're careful and show them respect they can make a good general starter. Biggest thing to keep in mind is never put your hands in the enclosure, always use long forceps. I use cocofiber for all my arboreal scorps and they don't have any issues with it. You can put them together when they get older, but as younger instars there's a higher chance of cannibalism. Room temp or a little bit warmer is fine. If you want to add a heat mat eventually, make sure you put it on the side of the enclosure.
Okay cool.. crickets and Dubai roaches good for them?

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Hello all I am looking to get my first scorpion I am looking at a centruroides gracilis because I really like the look of them. I have been reading around on here and they don't seem to difficult to take care of. I just want to know what a good substrate would be for them. What kinda temps are good for them, and if I can eventually keep them communally. The ones I am looking at are tiny. Would a heat mat be a good idea when they get a little bigger because at the size they are at I don't think I could attach a heat mat to the deli cups i would have them in. That is why I need to good temps until then. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
okay i just want to tell you crickets with crushed heads work amazing with scorps. took me waaaayyy too long to figure that one out

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Oh and the ones I would be getting are very small scorplings water dish or just mist?

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Got him/her!!! So awesome! How does the enclosure look IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0796.JPG that's what it came in I just added the little cork bark piece because they had nothing for it to climb on. Once it molts once or twice I'll put it in something a bit bigger.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey do scorpions have a pre-molt like tarantulas? Like they would stop eating and stuff during this?
Yes, they will stop eating and when they get really close to molting it'll look like the exoskeleton is ready to pop off. Typically scorp premolt isn't as long as with tarantulas though.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Yes, they will stop eating and when they get really close to molting it'll look like the exoskeleton is ready to pop off. Typically scorp premolt isn't as long as with tarantulas though.
Hmm alright well he/she definitely stopped eating.. it is also very plump, but i don't really think it looks like the exoskeleton is about to pop off.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I wasn't familiar with the species you named, however with a Google search I see they're pretty cool looking. My first and only scorpion is a Heterometrus sp. "Black Asian Forest Scorpion" that I got around a year ago and I haven't had any problems with it. It requires a lot of humidity so I keep a little digital hygrometer/thermometer in the enclosure (not that I pay it much attention anymore). I mist the enclosure and refill the water dish about once a week and it seems to thrive.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
She molted!!! I just wanted to ask again if they are like T's in the way that I can remove the molt and wait a certain amount of time before feeding? and If so how long? Thanks.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She molted!!! I just wanted to ask again if they are like T's in the way that I can remove the molt and wait a certain amount of time before feeding? and If so how long? Thanks.
Congrats on the molt! Yes, you can remove the molt at some point. It'll take some time for it to harden up, so I'd wait 3 or 4 days and check then. Once they get larger you'll want to wait a week before offering food.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Congrats on the molt! Yes, you can remove the molt at some point. It'll take some time for it to harden up, so I'd wait 3 or 4 days and check then. Once they get larger you'll want to wait a week before offering food.
Alright cool that's kinda what I figured. Thanks I am really excited about it, he/she looks awesome now!!