First Scorpion!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please bear with me, this is my first scorpion...
I just picked up a p. imperator from a nearby reptile show. I'm 99% certain it's male after checking out sexing pics online and comparing them to my guy. I can't remember the exact names of the organs and such but they match the male picture exactly. Anyhow, are there any downsides to a male scorpion vs a female scorpion? I know with male tarantulas (with which I am familiar), they don't live as long and don't always get as big, etc. But are there any downsides like this with scorpions? I like him either way, he's pretty big (I'd say about 5" from head to tip of tail), and is eagerly checking out his new home, but I'm basically just hoping he'll be around for a little while.
Thank you!

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no, sexes in scorpions does not affect lifespans like it does in tarantulas.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure about age differences for Emps, but at 5 inches that is likely an adult (but it's possible there is still a molt left in it...what color is it's stinger?) If it is an adult, there is no way of telling how old it is already and how long you will have it for. I had a really cool Monster Emp for a while that died of old age about 9-10 months after I got it, but that's probably not that likely to happen often.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most adult Emps' in the pet trade are W/C, so they could have already lived a good few years in nature.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure about age differences for Emps, but at 5 inches that is likely an adult (but it's possible there is still a molt left in it...what color is it's stinger?) If it is an adult, there is no way of telling how old it is already and how long you will have it for. I had a really cool Monster Emp for a while that died of old age about 9-10 months after I got it, but that's probably not that likely to happen often.
Its stinger area, the round part anyway, is reddish-brown. The lighting in my house isn't fantastic though so it could just be my eyes. His body is really neat in certain lighting though, sort of a greenish color rather than black. :) Hopefully I can get some good pics up soon!

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's mature if the telson is a deep redish-brown.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's mature if the telson is a deep redish-brown.
Is "mature" a bad thing? Again, with tarantulas, a mature male usually doesn't last long. :(

Well, if the worst happens and the poor fella is getting old, this show is around once a month so I'll pick up another scorpion (or two, they're pretty cool!!!)
Thanks for your help!

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as I said; sexes in scorpions does not effect lifespans. you could have a MM and it could live for 4-6 years. if you are lucky. but, It's probably WC and has lived most of it's life in nature.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as I said; sexes in scorpions does not effect lifespans. you could have a MM and it could live for 4-6 years. if you are lucky. but, It's probably WC and has lived most of it's life in nature.
Well if he's lived most of his life in nature he sure doesn't act like it! :D He's an energetic little guy right now. I didn't get a chance to get him a real hide yet (but there is a big chunk of cork bark in there), so maybe he's just looking for somewhere to hang out. When I was at the show I didn't buy one because I thought I had a half-log at home but it appears I didn't. :wall: Anyhow, thanks again for your help! :worship:

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no probs. if you have deep enough substrate he will probably burrow.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey calum, my scorps just dont seem interested in burrowing. they both share the artificial burrow i made them, or the half log hide. i really wanna see them burrow. my substrate is about 6 inches deep and fairly moist underneath the inch of dried out substrate. any ideas?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some scorpions just don't burrow. they are probably just perfectly happy with the hides you have provided them with.

however, they will usually burrow alot at younger instars.

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine never burrow. They always use the hides I give them :wall: What a waste of all those blocks of bed a beast. Well the stuff is always there for them if the change their minds at least :D

JDHuskey

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with a mature scorpion (male or female), only problem is it could be an older specimen which may not have much time left, but there is no way to know really. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well if he's lived most of his life in nature he sure doesn't act like it! He's an energetic little guy right now. I didn't get a chance to get him a real hide yet (but there is a big chunk of cork bark in there)
Definitely that's why he is running around, he will feel a lot more secure with something to hide under. If you still only have the piece of cork bark in there you could start a little scrape up under it for him to squeeze into. He'll finish it up.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey calum, my scorps just dont seem interested in burrowing. they both share the artificial burrow i made them, or the half log hide. i really wanna see them burrow. my substrate is about 6 inches deep and fairly moist underneath the inch of dried out substrate. any ideas?
Remove the half log and artificial hides and place a piece of slate or something on the surface of the substrate. They'll at least make a scrape and who knows, maybe once they start digging they'll develop a little enthusiasm for terra-forming :)

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have to agree with dairy i have two scorpions in one 29 gallon tank with 3 artificial hides and one medium rock(about 7 inches wide 3 deep 1.5 thick)
they don't use the hides like at all! they both just dig under the rock. last i looked it was about 4 inches down and getting bigger.