First Scorpion! Striped Bark

valkyrie12310

Arachnopeon
I just got a scorpion, this cute little bugger being sold for only 15$.

He came in this little deli dish with some sand. The guy I bought him from told me that it would be a perfectly fine enclosure. I've added a little water bowl and a small hide. I was also told that feeding once a week would be good. Other than that, I'm pretty clueless. Do these guys need moisture? Also, do they take superworms? Do they scavenge? He's also out in the open a lot and dashes around whenever I turn on a light. I probably should've done more research before buying. Any info you guys have about caring for this scorpion would be much appreciated :)

NYAN

Arachnoking
Bark scorps need vertical space in order to molt, Hence the name bark scorpion. They are communal and fairly easy to sex, males will have long tail segments. I have Arizona bark scorpions, centruroides sculpturatus. I keep mine in a tub with a water dish, some substrate and lots of climbing vertical space. What’s the scientific name of yours? I know there is a Florida/ surrounding area striped bark, henzi, I think and a Texas/ surrounding area one, vittatus. Being you live in Texas, I think vittatus is somewhat likely, but I’m sure someone can ID it if you don’t know.

valkyrie12310

Arachnopeon
Bark scorps need vertical space in order to molt, Hence the name bark scorpion. They are communal and fairly easy to sex, males will have long tail segments. I have Arizona bark scorpions, centruroides sculpturatus. I keep mine in a tub with a water dish, some substrate and lots of climbing vertical space. What’s the scientific name of yours? I know there is a Florida/ surrounding area striped bark, henzi, I think and a Texas/ surrounding area one, vittatus. Being you live in Texas, I think vittatus is somewhat likely, but I’m sure someone can ID it if you don’t know.
I don't know what scientific name actually. If someone could ID that would be great. Also, he keeps trying to climb the walls. I'm assuming it's because he wants a vertical hide?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I don't know what scientific name actually. If someone could ID that would be great. Also, he keeps trying to climb the walls. I'm assuming it's because he wants a vertical hide?
They need, not want vertical space in order to molt.

valkyrie12310

Arachnopeon
Plastic tubs are great, but since it’s just a single one you can probably keep it in a 1 gallon jar type of enclosure.
Do you know if they need sand as a substrate? Or could i just use drier coco fiber.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Yeah that's vittatus about 90% sure and they look exactly like my 2 that I have.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Long time since I've been here and yes it is C vittatus. Don't keep on sand. Keep on peat moss with just a corner of container being moist. They need both. Keep in a rubbermade container with plenty of holes drilled for ventilation. This is the only scorpion native to my area.