First old word tarantula recommendation

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The major 2 rehousings I had to do so far were pretty drama free. The Versicolor went by the book.

My L Klugi tarantula ran around in circles 3 or 4 times once all the substrate was removed and then meekly walked into the container then into the 5 gallon enclosure.

Sadly enough, the third transfer want quite as smooth, flooding ineffective but went okay. It's too bad the spider was already terminal due to fecal impaction.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've wondered, mostly out of curiosity, if there are any incapable of zooming up the side of an enclosure in the blink of an eye. If I was gonna keep an OW, that would be my chief concern, I think.
The only one I've seriously thought about owning would be one of the horned species. Apart from the H. mac I briefly considered adopting, which would be the opposite extreme, which was in part why I reconsidered.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've wondered, mostly out of curiosity, if there are any incapable of zooming up the side of an enclosure in the blink of an eye. If I was gonna keep an OW, that would be my chief concern, I think.
I don't think so, though some (many?) would sooner flee into their retreats before bolting out of the cage.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Not long time ago I have seen some one saying he kept T for 10 years and asking for first OW recommendation, now 14 years of experience and the same question. Really after such a long time you still haven't decided to buy any OW, haven't get any as freebie, and don't even know which one you would like to own as first?

sasker

Arachnoprince
if there are any incapable of zooming up the side of an enclosure in the blink of an eye. If I was gonna keep an OW, that would be my chief concern,
I am literally never worried that my terrestrial baboons come out flying out of their enclosure if I see that they are in their burrows when I open their enclosures. They could run up the sides of the enclosure, but they always bolt down their cave when their enclosure is disturbed. I have a C. marshalli. She is still too young for me to say anything about her behaviour as an adult, but so far she is a nice little tarantula.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I am literally never worried that my terrestrial baboons come out flying out of their enclosure if I see that they are in their burrows when I open their enclosures. They could run up the sides of the enclosure, but they always bolt down their cave when their enclosure is disturbed. I have a C. marshalli. She is still too young for me to say anything about her behaviour as an adult, but so far she is a nice little tarantula.
I have a C Marshalli MF and she's also pretty well behaved. Generally doesnt mind when you open the enclosure. If you go too fast sometimes she will hiss at you, never bolts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Everything can happens, of course, but once they are in their burrow, they will remain in their burrow (unless of course someone doesn't bother them on purpose). When you open a ('Baboon') enclosure for maintenance and whatever, 99.99% the spider, if already 'down under' I mean, will remain down under. Never open one when they are out, obviously :rofl:

In general C.marshalli loves to create that sorta 'J' shaped burrow... my female made one with three entrance, ah ah. Anyway, temperament speaking, she's more badass than my 0.1 P.murinus :writer:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I gently tap the side of the enclosure before opening it. They always hit the deck and run down the burrow. My baboons always go down when there's trouble, never up.

Still, always have a catch cup and something like a lid for it at all times.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Generally doesnt mind when you open the enclosure. If you go too fast sometimes she will hiss at you,
Geez, I have been keeping many baboons for a while now...still haven't heard a single t hiss...not once.....mine must all have their volume turned all the way down...hehe

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Geez, I have been keeping many baboons for a while now...still haven't heard a single t hiss...not once.....mine must all have their volume turned all the way down...hehe
I have only heard it once, and it was when I nudging my Ceratogyrus marshalli out of her deli cup into her new enclosure. It is a soft sound, easily lost in background noise. (My husband was present during the rehousing as a second pair of hands, and he didn't hear it.)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd also recommend E pachypus as a 1st step into keeping old world tarantulas they tend as a general rule to be calmer and according to research they aren't as potent venom wise. The added bonus with these is they tend to burrow straight down if given enough substrate so they are often visible from above.

Another beautiful way into keeping old worlds that gets my vote is H villosella as another member suggested they often bolt into a tunnel made of web rather than standing their ground, it is said by some scientists that these maybe amongst the most potent of all African tarantulas due to their small size, they are extremely beautiful but usain bolt fast so you need to be aware

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Seriously? :)

I mean, not even with P.muticus? I've heard my 0.1 hissing more than once (when, removing the B.dubia prey remains too near to her cork bark - burrow exit, I've touched, and quite gently lol, that cork bark with tongs) and that's incredible. Incredible... kinda a 'low volume' upset cat sound :angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
Seriously? :)

I mean, not even with P.muticus? I've heard my 0.1 hissing more than once (when, removing the B.dubia prey remains too near to her cork bark - burrow exit, I've touched, and quite gently lol, that cork bark with tongs) and that's incredible. Incredible... kinda a 'low volume' upset cat sound :angelic:
seriously, not even during a re house....my muticus havent even threat postured...lol.