First Molt is Happening!! Questions!

Flashback

Arachnosquire
My A. chalcodes is molting! I've had her since Nov. & I came home & it looked like she was in the middle of it.

My questions is how long does the process last? When can I open the enclosure to add water to her dish? I don't want to touch the enclosure now, because I don't want any disturbances.

She also seems to be molting half on the glass? (She's in the space between the hide & the glass) She was in the hide last night, but beyond that, there was no signs of a pre molt (like webbing or not eating)

This is my first T molt, so it's a little stressful & exciting. I haven't gone into the room since I came home!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My A. chalcodes is molting! I've had her since Nov. & I came home & it looked like she was in the middle of it.
How did it go?

My questions is how long does the process last?
Bigger tarantulas generally take longer to molt. A sling might start and finish within a couple hours, while a large adult might be on its back for hours before it starts to show progress. Once the carapace pops, it usually goes pretty quickly.

When can I open the enclosure to add water to her dish? I don't want to touch the enclosure now, because I don't want any disturbances.
Once the tarantula has finished molting and flipped back over, it's safe to refill the water dish. Try not to poke the tarantula itself, as it's soft and vulnerable.

She also seems to be molting half on the glass?
They sometimes molt in weird positions. You just have to trust that they know what they're doing, and disturbing them is usually worse than letting them do their thing.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much for your response & the info!

The molt went well (as far as I know). When I returned to the room, she was out of the molt & away from it.

I wasn't sure if I should still not disturb her because I read they are weak after a molt, but it was late & I wanted to fill her dish to make sure there plenty of fresh water.

When I opened the enclosure (I tried to be as slow / care as possible, but there are vibrations) She turned around & got on top of the molt & I think she was webbing it up?? I got a little worried because I didn't know if she was biting it (I know the fangs are delicate after a molt).

This morning, the molt looked "packaged" but she was still on top of it, so I haven't taken it out yet.

Is this a normal thing for T's to do? I wanted to get the old out of there, but she jumped on it....

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
When I opened the enclosure (I tried to be as slow / care as possible, but there are vibrations) She turned around & got on top of the molt & I think she was webbing it up?? I got a little worried because I didn't know if she was biting it (I know the fangs are delicate after a molt).
It's OK to go into the enclosure for maintenance or to remove the molt, but you don't want to poke or prod her while she's callow/teneral (soft).

This morning, the molt looked "packaged" but she was still on top of it, so I haven't taken it out yet.

Is this a normal thing for T's to do? I wanted to get the old out of there, but she jumped on it....
Sometimes they "cuddle" with their molts. (They're not really cuddling; I just call it that.) Sometimes they destroy the molt. My heavy webbers have incorporated them in their webbing, and my burrowers have lined their burrows with old molts.

While we often want to extract the molt for sexing, it's OK if it remains in the enclosure. It doesn't mold or attract pests.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
his morning, the molt looked "packaged"
LOL My little GBB webbed it to the wall of her burrow like artwork. I'm going to leave it there until I rehouse because I don't want to damage her webbing. My b. albo would run to lay on the molt for at least a week when spooked. When I would put water in or even just go near, she'd curl up on the molt and sit in what looked like a stressed position. I think she just felt safe on it. Eventually she kicked it out and decided she was done with it. I wanted to take it out because I wanted to check the sex, but I let her keep it for at least a week until she decided I could have it. The for at least another week after that she still huddled in the corner. And now she's out and about and sporting "her" boxing gloves (LOL) for all to see. I guess I didn't really need to see the molt because she is very clearly a mature male. (and I've been calling her she too long to stop now :p)