First Millipedes

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been looking at letting my 9 year old get some millipedes as they seem the safer alternate to Scolopendra. :p

I'm thinking either Chicobolus spinigerus or Narceus americanus.

They will probably be housed in a modified medium KK (hot glue in excess holes) or hobby lobby model box like I use for my tarantulas.
We don't really have access to hard wood that I trust to be free of "yuckies" so I'll be getting some hardwood substrate to add.

We're looking at getting 2 millipedes.
1. Will one of each be happy?
2. Are they (milipedes) both hardy enough that I can check in once a week and leave the rest to him?
3. Can a dubia hang out in there with the millipedes or will it eat them? (He like the way some of my females look)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I’ve never heared of keeping Dubia with millipedes, I would suggest against that. I would also discourage you from using those containers, sterilite bins work great, for just two of either of those the “shoe box” size would be just fine; though I recommend the kind with a locking lid.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I’ve never heared of keeping Dubia with millipedes, I would suggest against that.
Huh, i was hoping to sneak in another 'pet'. But if it's going to eat the millipedes, I'd rather not.

I would also discourage you from using those containers, sterilite bins work great, for just two of either of those the “shoe box” size would be just fine; though I recommend the kind with a locking lid.
Thanks for the reply!

What's wrong with the hobby lobby boxes? Is there some major difference I can't think of besides clarity compared to sterilite?

Last edited:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Not sure what the hobby lobby boxes are that you’re referring to, I really referring to the KK when saying I discourage the housing plans.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure what the hobby lobby boxes are that you’re referring to, I really referring to the KK when saying I discourage the housing plans.
I embedded a link in my first reply to you. ;)

Anyone have answers to my first two questions?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I think the Hobby Lobby boxes would be fine. Millipedes are very social and I think they would be happier with their own kind. Chicobolus are much more active and stay up top more. Gordanus are fossorial and rarely come up. Good luck!

PS - I love those Hobby Lobby boxes!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@mickiem
Is something like this ok? I previously used it for my dubia, but it holds humidity better than I wanted for the 100 or so that were in there. The mesh spacing is about 1.5mm.
PhotoGrid_1532612148579.jpg
Also, that sub is just some shredded forest moss and coco fiber for under the hardwood sub (it'll come in with the 2 Chicobolus).

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
You may need to cover some of the venting. I can't tell from the photo how much of the top is meshed. I use
similar
tubs, with a little less ventilation. Most people don't keep water dishes in with their millipedes; they get enough moisture from their food. Its always a bad idea to have something heavy above where they could have a molting/ brooding cell. I notice they 'lick' droplets of water from the side when I spray, so they may appreciate a bowl, but I still keep it out for the above mentioned reasons.

I'm glad you decided on the two Ivories; they make much better pets.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You may need to cover some of the venting. I can't tell from the photo how much of the top is meshed. I use
similar
tubs, with a little less ventilation. Most people don't keep water dishes in with their millipedes; they get enough moisture from their food. Its always a bad idea to have something heavy above where they could have a molting/ brooding cell. I notice they 'lick' droplets of water from the side when I spray, so they may appreciate a bowl, but I still keep it out for the above mentioned reasons.

I'm glad you decided on the two Ivories; they make much better pets.
Less than 8% of the lid and even then, the mesh is pretty dense.
Worst case I'll cover up part of the vents. What should I be looking for to find the optimal ventilation?

E.g. Sub takes 2 days to dry on surface

mickiem

Arachnoprince
If you mist 2-3 X a week, the surface shouldn’t dry out? I’m taking a guess here, I’ve never really measured this way. Make certain water isn’t collecting in the bottom. Just keep watching it; you’ll figure it out. :anxious: