First jumping spider - what now?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Everyone at work knows I'd love to have a little jumper, so today a colleague brought me a jumping spider that she caught on her breakfast table. :astonished: But now I'm not really sure how to care for it. It's really, really tiny, maybe 3-4 mm DLS.

Lucas_ID.jpg

I have no idea what species/genus it is. So, if anyone has an idea, I'm all ears. ;)

I housed it in a 10cm cube:

Lucas_home1.jpg Lucas_home2.jpg

I covered the holes with tape and pricked some new holes with a needle.

I also put some springtails in the sub. That was the only thing I could imagine it would/could eat, everything else I have is way too big. :p

Do you have any advice for me? Is the enclosure okay? Too small? Too big?

nuck

Arachnopeon
I've seen jumping spiders take down baby crix with ease, so try those. Sprigs are too small, but they will benefit the soil.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I've seen jumping spiders take down baby crix with ease, so try those. Sprigs are too small, but they will benefit the soil.
Wow! Even at this size? :wideyed:

I'll be at an expo next weekend, maybe I get some pinheads there. I probably need them anyway, because I'll be getting some tiny t slings as well. ;)

How much food do they need in general? And how often should I mist the enclosure for water?
And what about some fruit flies if I can catch one in the kitchen? I suppose that would be its normal food source around here anyway, right?

nuck

Arachnopeon
Wow! Even at this size? :wideyed:

I'll be at an expo next weekend, maybe I get some pinheads there. I probably need them anyway, because I'll be getting some tiny t slings as well. ;)

How much food do they need in general? And how often should I mist the enclosure for water?
And what about some fruit flies if I can catch one in the kitchen? I suppose that would be its normal food source around here anyway, right?
Well I recently caught a couple and observed them in a preserved ecosystem within a jar (I tend to label them jarrarium's). Some didn't make it, some did, but I observed one feasting on a juvenile cricket that I acquired at Petco; they usually are labelled as small crickets. It ended up passing on later, but it sucked that cricket dry, like literally, just a former shell of what it once was. The one I observed was at least around the size of yours, but a lot bulkier and heavy looking (an Arizonan native species).

Honestly if I were you I would just look up guides on google. Some say they can last very long periods of time without food, but I would probably feed it as much as you would any other juvenile arachnid. I would recommend something for it to climb and hide in, like a plant, since crickets seem to not like to climb those for whatever reason, and can be quite dangerous to a jumping spider.

Fruitflies are possibly an option, however I am not an expert at this, I just capture and observe things to see how they function within a closed environment.

EDIT: Here's a good reference pic of its size.
20180209_130053.jpg

Last edited:

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Thats a p.lanigera they don't get very big, when i had some i would feed them small moths i found around my house. mosquitoes work too .

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sorry, these icons on my mobile are way too small. :rolleyes: It seems I can't hit the informative button. :confused:

Thanks a lot for that information. I never would have found that species. It's a bit unfortunate, it won't get any bigger, but at least I got one. :D

There are no moths here at the moment, but it'll get warmer now, so I bet there'll be fruit flies soon. ;)