First distribution record of a tarantula spider found in the United Arab Emirates

matmohair1

Arachnopeon
I noticed it lacks the patterns on the back of Ischnocolus valentinus,
so I wonder if its "Ischnocolus hancocki", recorded from Morocco.
that would mean it may have a wider distribution than previously thought...

http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id463563/

but then, the color of the legs may
point at a new species or color morph

Last edited:

matmohair1

Arachnopeon
Tarantula species from Oman and the UAE finally Identified

This is an news update.
A research paper was recently published on the topic in Zoology in the Middle East, 66(1):76-90 · February 2020.
"Taxonomy of the genus Ischnocolus in the Middle East, with description of a new species from Oman and Iran (Araneae: Theraphosidae)"

Apparently the two species of tarantulas turned out to be Ischnocolus jickelii and Ischnocolus vanandelae sp. n. you can read all about it here...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...cies_from_Oman_and_Iran_Araneae_Theraphosidae

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw this—- key phrase color polymorphism

I remember when the first specimens were photographed. I talked with her she was quite nice. I had to keep quiet about these while the cladistics was being done for the original paper.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing! I. jickelli appears to have some really crazy regional variations in color... you'd never expect those were all the same species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing! I. jickelli appears to have some really crazy regional variations in color... you'd never expect those were all the same species.
Yea this was really surprising. The initial specimen found was blue.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'll be the first to say it (pretty sure I'm not the first to think it) - I wouldn't mind having one of those blue Ischnocolus jickelii. I wonder how long it will take till they're breeding them in Europe?

culver blaney

Arachnopeon
I’m in the UAE. I’m looking to capture and breed two specimens, so that I can sell the slings to my local breeder.

Last edited: