First Centipede Suggestions

Moshtico

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, so I have been looking more into getting my first Centipede, so I figured I would come to you all and ask! I'm looking for something a little more unique and not as commonly kept. Any suggestions would be great! I have experience in scorpions but none in Centipedes yet but I am not apposed to one that is a little more tricky to keep if needed.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
NA starter: S. polymorpha are laid back (for a centipede), don't have a terribly painful bite, and are very hard to kill. They get to about 3-6" depending on locality and come in a wide range of colors (there are some bright blue morphs you may like). For about 20 bucks, poly's are also fairly cheap.

SA starter: S. angulata gets a little bigger than polys and is even more laid back and has weaker venom; but is shier and prone to burrowing. It is not commonly kept but @Ratmosphere just got one as his first 'pede so you can probably find one too. I quite like the muted colors on this species.

Asia starter: While most centipedes are cannibalistic, S. mutilans can be housed in very large groups of all ages. They are native to China and might be pricier and harder to find than polys. They are very colorful and come in several different locality morphs (Korea red leg, Taiwan red leg, mainland yellow leg, possibly more) and genetic morphs (hypomelanistic, bluish). Mutilans does have a more painful venom than the other two species.

Most centipedes are not incredibly difficult to keep; any centipede can be a starter. I chose these three as their venoms are not terribly painful and their pricetags fairly low. But if you see something else that you like, don't be afraid to buy a more temperamental, larger, dangerous, or expensive species.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
NA starter: S. polymorpha are laid back (for a centipede), don't have a terribly painful bite, and are very hard to kill. They get to about 3-6" depending on locality and come in a wide range of colors (there are some bright blue morphs you may like). For about 20 bucks, poly's are also fairly cheap.

SA starter: S. angulata gets a little bigger than polys and is even more laid back and has weaker venom; but is shier and prone to burrowing. It is not commonly kept but @Ratmosphere just got one as his first 'pede so you can probably find one too. I quite like the muted colors on this species.

Asia starter: While most centipedes are cannibalistic, S. mutilans can be housed in very large groups of all ages. They are native to China and might be pricier and harder to find than polys. They are very colorful and come in several different locality morphs (Korea red leg, Taiwan red leg, mainland yellow leg, possibly more) and genetic morphs (hypomelanistic, bluish). Mutilans does have a more painful venom than the other two species.

Most centipedes are not incredibly difficult to keep; any centipede can be a starter. I chose these three as their venoms are not terribly painful and their pricetags fairly low. But if you see something else that you like, don't be afraid to buy a more temperamental, larger, dangerous, or expensive species.
I heard lately that the venom is a tad bit stronger than polymorpha if not at the same level.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Also, if you want an active centipede as your first, Scolopendra angulata wouldn't be the best bet. Yes, the potency is lower than others as @LawnShrimp said but I never see mine. Literally, it is a pet hole.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Get a small Dehaani and grow with it.... High enclosures which open from the top are essential, moist coco fibre a few inches deep, water dish and you’re golden... :)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Get a small Dehaani and grow with it.... High enclosures which open from the top are essential, moist coco fibre a few inches deep, water dish and you’re golden... :)
I'd advise against that for a first centipede mostly due to their aggressiveness and potency. A Scolopendra polymorpha would do the trick.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
I'd advise against that for a first centipede mostly due to their aggressiveness and potency. A Scolopendra polymorpha would do the trick.
Yes it’s a more, let’s say an advanced pede but I’d personally get a baby Dehaani and learn as it grows.... That’s just me though :)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Even babies can pack a punch. My friend got bit by a 3" specimen and his hand swelled up so bad. I was surprised! Their venom is no joke. I have been hearing that Scolopendra heros makes a good starter. Very active and good eaters.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Scolopendra heros makes a good starter. Very active and good eaters.
Yes, but also very bad venom haha.

Seeing as you're in the US, I'd suggest Scolopendra polymorpha as said above.

Though, if you want something smaller, I'd suggest Scolopendra viridis (Arizona locale). Mine are the most active of my small pedes. Venom is equal or less than polymorpha in strength, and my largest specimen is 2.5", and I've never seen one bigger than that.

Also don't rule out Hemiscolopendra marginata, Rhysida longipes, or S. viridis Florida locale.

Moshtico

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for the replies, I think I'm leaning more towards S. polymorpha blue morph, I have been looking around and it seems everyone is sold out though. I do remember seeing several Dehaani for sale at the last reptile expo I went to see that actually may be an option. Unfortunately the next show isn't until December 10th that I know of near me.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I think I'm leaning more towards S. polymorpha blue morph, I have been looking around and it seems everyone is sold out though. I do remember seeing several Dehaani for sale at the last reptile expo I went to see that actually may be an option. Unfortunately the next show isn't until December 10th that I know of near me.
That's really not all that far away. Waiting can be a bit of a bummer, but if you've got a show you can attend, I'd wait out the fidgets and go to the show. You may just end up stumbling across a real gem when you're there.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
The blue S. polymorpha sure are stunners, but from what I've heard, they don't get as big as some other S. polymorpha variants.