First B. Albopilosum Experience

u bada

Arachnopeon
Glad you mentioned it, because this little creature does lay web on the surface so it definitely doesn’t care for it. The T has done it on that bottom dry layer which was my original fill line from like day 2 or 3 of having it and webbed the top layer again. There’s actually a large patch of web on a flattened area on the far side that’s hard to see.

As far as the particles in it....seems like these are slow, calculated animals so how would they manage to drag themselves over it to hurt themselves? A fall is one thing, but daily movement doesn’t seem to be any problem.
it's part they don't like it, but also part they they sort of booby trap sub so that when prey comes along they can sense the movement at pretty much any point on the web mat. Pretty fascinating behavior if you ask me.

Re particles, slow calculated animals, etc... they're unsupervised in there and quite frankly they're mysterious things these t's, they do a lot of weird things as you'll come to know and can hurt themselves, and they can't heal the same way vertebrates can so it's just better off being safe than sorry. LOL

Minty

@londontarantulas
The enclosure is big but it won’t do the tarantula any harm.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. Albo was my first tarantula aswell but one thing I learn about them is they need alot of substrate well atleast mine does. Mine closed the enterance and digs strait into the other corner of enclousire and wont come out for months. They are not really agressive, mine is quit chill i have seen her flicking bristles at me few times and thats it. Brachys are one of the best starting tarantulas to be honest. And i warn you you might get addicted and end up with 10s or maybe 100s of tarantulas
Almost all terrestrials needs lots of sub!

The enclosure is big but it won’t do the tarantula any harm.
It looks very large to the size of spider! But if spider eats and has a normal behaviour it is ok!

Last edited by a moderator:

u bada

Arachnopeon
That should work nicely...

now you need to get a bigger t for that extra enclosure you have LOL

franczhesca

Arachnopeon
I much appreciate the resources and I don’t want to seem ungrateful. But I have not the workspace, equipment, or knowledge to accomplish this feat. Would be more cost effective to buy one since that’s what I’m trying to do anyway. Tools aren’t my bag. Can’t believe nobody really makes these pre fabricated. Almost comes to a point where I’m ready to do the tape trick since finding an easier fix is utterly frustrating.
Check on Amazon. They DO sell them.

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
Ok, I’ll bite. I have no issue picking up more of the substrate. This leaves me with several questions:

1. Can I do place the substrate in with my buddy as long as I don’t allow the soil to bury or touch it?

2. If question 1 is acceptable, how do I pack it down? At the size my animal is now, and having seen the underside pressed against the glass, by eyeballing it seems like it has 1/4 inch fangs right now and I’m not trying to get whacked.

Kind of missed the memo on packing it down the first time because of everything I’ve heard about rough substrate.

3. Is the stress really going to be greater if the substrate isn’t added as opposed to leaving the tarantula be? It’ll eat and drink when it needs to although it hasn’t drank anything for a few days now. Was a thirsty boi/girl when I got it....shame on that store giving it gel cubes. I’m concerned about too much stress right now although there are no cases of stress related tarantula death.
The quick answer to question 2: don't pack it down. Your T will handle that as he begins to burrow. In my wife and I's experience, our Brachypelma is very very finniky. One moment, he's chill and relaxed, the next he's kicking hair because we walked past his enclosure. I have to agree with the others on this thread regarding the temporary rehousing. I suggest using a large deli cup and a soft bristled paintbrush as a "prod" of sorts, to usher him into the cup. Secure your cup somewhere that it won't be disturbed, and add your sub. I would recommend at least four inches of sub, with a partially buried hide to encourage your T to burrow deeper. Also, don't burrow for him; he will dig where he wishes, and will secure his burrow with silk.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
You have already gotten enough advice so I will just say Congratulations on your new fuzzy butt. I have one too and love him. Mine has plenty of substrate and doesn't burrow and doesn't hide lol. I started with straight cocofiber and then a mix. He doesn't care either way. So chill. SO easy.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
extreme disdain for the Jungle Mix stuff
jungle mix is essentially coco fiber...its just fine to use.

Dont over think sub, its just a personal choice for the keeper...any acceptable subs can be used on their own OR mixed in any manner.

If you use top soil, it doesnt need to be packed down due to its density....all other subs do need to be tamped down.

LarsCody

Arachnosquire
Thank you to everyone for the fantastic advice! I think I've gotten as much from this thread as possible. :)

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Hey guys! I’ve added substrate as previously mentioned so as to prevent a fall and allow for burrowing. Following up on your replies, the T is fairly docile and more skittish/afraid than aggressive. Moved like a turtle when I housed it the first time, but had lightning in its proverbial heels when I had to move it to add substrate. It’s been lazy lately, but I chalk that up to typical T behavior. I’ve had my little buddy for a week as of today!
My B. Albo used to be docile and slow, then he molted into a mature male. Now he throws threats and kicks hairs whenever I touch his enclosure. The mood changes within molts never fail to impress me.