First Arboreal setup ideas...

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So basically iv got a 10 gallon tank thats been divided in two. Im planning on getting a couple Avic versi and have about 100 bucks to make this set-up as nice as possable...

First thing, should i cover the plexiglass divider with a wood background on both sides so they cant see into the other half of the cage? (im thinking the pre fab backgrounds they have at some petstores)

Also iv heard humidity control is at its best for these guys with a live house plant kept in its pot... any suggestions on plants would be good for climbing/hearty?

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry so much about them seeing into the other container. Their eyesight is not the best. Most likely if they're aware of the other spider it's based on movement and some pheromone cocktails they might have. I've heard good and bad things about split tanks. Just make sure there's no way either spider could slip into the other section. They can get through holes you'd swear were too small.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I won't be long winded here but i'll just say make double sure the divider is secure. Then make triple sure the lid is absolutely secure. You should do some searches & reading for threads discussing divided tanks. If you still want to try it plan your project well or you'll end up with on fat avic.

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
... or you'll end up with on fat avic.

hahah... i see!

Ill be sure to be careful with that..

Thompson08... I LOVE that set up, im pretty familiar with some of those plants, ill keep my eye out next time im at osh or home depot

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arent avics communaly tolerant? I thought they were.
You know the lady at one of our local pet stores told me the same thing... iv done a little research and from what i can see it generally doesnt turn out too well. So id rather not risk it.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont blame you I wouldnt try it either if I wasnt sure it would work. How are you planning the split ? side by side? Here is how I would do it. Also i would put some type of hanging artificial plant and water dish secured to the side. you may also want to check out the thread Robc posted about his split backdrop tutorial its really cool I plan on trying it one day when a big enough tank for my avic

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
double post sorry also pothos are great plants. I have something in my avic enclosure but I have no idea what it is All I know is its tropical foliage

Last edited:

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahah... i see!

Ill be sure to be careful with that..

Thompson08... I LOVE that set up, im pretty familiar with some of those plants, ill keep my eye out next time im at osh or home depot
Thanks! :D

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's so simple to use a nice clear 1 gallon plastic jar, works for adult T's, cheap, and decorates just as well. I personally won't use divided tanks, but others have with success (and still others have found dividers may not keep them separate). I'd rather spend the $100 on other T's lol. Good luck. (some avics do well in community tanks others don't)
Rev