First arboreal enclosure

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
IMG_9173.JPG I have a friend sending me a 2.5 inch Avicularia purpurea. I'm trying to get an enclosure setup.

Will this work?

Dimensions: 9"h 6.5"w 3.5" deep.

I was planning to hot glue the bark strip to the back wall and stand the stick at an angle. Coco fiber/soil mix for substrate and a water dish.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd actually go for fake flowers over bark for Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora. I find that they actually make their homes in the leaves/petals. They can do this with bark and sticks too but I've used both and I found they liked incorporating the fake plant into their web tubes.

What you have will definitely worth though, just food for thought.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
I'd actually go for fake flowers over bark for Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora. I find that they actually make their homes in the leaves/petals. They can do this with bark and sticks too but I've used both and I found they liked incorporating the fake plant into their web tubes.

Can you take a picture from a little bit further back so I can see the entire enclosure? Also where do you place your water dish for arboreals? Thanks!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You quoted yourself, so it looks like you're asking yourself. :rofl: But I assume you mean me. I bought mine off their website : This is the one shown in my pictures. They make them in different sizes. All of those shown have a translucent lid you can look down into. They also have it on Amazon, for a bit more expensive but free 2-day shipping if you have Prime.

And the lid snaps open and shut rather easily (but is still really secure) so it doesn't disturb the tarantula very much.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Up to approximately what age will one of these 8.2 cup setups house an avicularia, would you estimate?
Uhmmm Well they're 8.4 x 5.6 x 5.4 inches So 3.5" maybe 4". The spiders you see in there are just under 2" in size, and you can see they have plenty of space. They also make a much bigger one, it's the biggest and it won't work for a full size pokie female, but it should work for an adult A. purpurea. I heard they don't get very large, like 5" in the max I've heard.

This one is 5.75" x 5.74" x 10.5" and holds 17.2 cups.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
Uhmmm Well they're 8.4 x 5.6 x 5.4 inches So 3.5" maybe 4".
Thanks so much for all of your help. I think I am going to order some of these.

I've got a A. purpurea and a Thrixopela ockerti sub adult female on the way. These containers look great.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thanks so much for all of your help. I think I am going to order some of these.

I've got a A. purpurea and a Thrixopela ockerti sub adult female on the way. These containers look great.
Thanks! I like them. So far I'm only using two sizes, but I've got a stash of about 22 or 24 in various sizes. There was a sale of 25% as well as orders over $99 got free shipping. So I spent $100 bucks on a bunch for the future. After all, my 4 P. regalis are going to need upgraded into a bigger enclosure sooner rather than later.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Substrate would be useful.

I don't like gluing anything in there for my Avics. It will be a pain in the rear to clean.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
IMG_9283.JPG
Substrate would be useful.

I don't like gluing anything in there for my Avics. It will be a pain in the rear to clean.

Haha. Yes. They will definitely have substrate. I actually decided to change the style and go with the "Hobby Lobby" style.

I am going to take your advice and not glue anything. I will use substrate footing to secure the plant and cork bark. (I am waiting for cork bark and new T's to arrive next week.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 254154

Haha. Yes. They will definitely have substrate. I actually decided to change the style and go with the "Hobby Lobby" style.

I am going to take your advice and not glue anything. I will use substrate footing to secure the plant and cork bark. (I am waiting for cork bark and new T's to arrive next week.)
I glued once, and learned the hard way. I pulled out the cork.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

Thank you for sharing! :D Where do you purchase the fake plants from and are they silk or plastic?