First Arboreal Enclosure (for a P. cambridgei)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thanks to @miss moxie for recommending the Snapware containers for arboreals! :astonished: This is an 8.2 cup canister which I’m preparing for a 3/4 to 1 inch Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

E5D57580-CE66-4369-AB29-A6BDA87D972C.jpeg

I soldered a row of air holes around the top — does this look sufficient or should I add more either around the top or lower?

Should there be a water dish on the substrate or would misting be sufficient? I have a feeling that any water dish I put in there will become a buried relic.

Any feedback, suggestions and recommendations welcome! :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I like to add a line of them around the substrate line, because it helps dry out the substrate. Since you have to keep Psalmopoeus on the damp side, that'll be a huge help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I provide a water dish. W/that said, it's a fast species, it covers up the dish, and you will have to keep it clear of webbing. Misting alone, not the best way. How are you going to know if they are thirsty when their abdomen is large-- You can't tell, no one can.

Sufficient air, though I like to increase a bit more, I'd drop another set at the middle.

It won't die due to lack of O2 w/what you have hah.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hides are far too low to the ground imo. Sub looks way too dry as well.
Ya think? They always end up making dirt curtains in the beginning, well at least irminia and pulcher do. I can't speak for camb.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ya think? They always end up making dirt curtains in the beginning, well at least irminia and pulcher do. I can't speak for camb.
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

They're still arboreals, and appreciate something to build their curtains behind. And that's way too low.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

They're still arboreals, and appreciate something to build their curtains behind. And that's way too low.

No I was genuinely asking you my man! BUT now I can see the confusion. I agree they would appreciate higher up as well.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I think it might depend on the specimen. My adult female P. pulcher had a long cork tube planted into the substrate and she liked to hang out at the very bottom of it.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I like to add a line of them around the substrate line, because it helps dry out the substrate. Since you have to keep Psalmopoeus on the damp side, that'll be a huge help.
I provide a water dish. W/that said, it's a fast species, it covers up the dish, and you will have to keep it clear of webbing. Misting alone, not the best way. How are you going to know if they are thirsty when their abdomen is large-- You can't tell, no one can.

Sufficient air, though I like to increase a bit more, I'd drop another set at the middle.

It won't die due to lack of O2 w/what you have hah.
Okay, I’ll definitely add ventilation and a water dish. Perhaps I can find a clever way to attach it to the side so I can change it with more normal disturbance to the T...

Hides are far too low to the ground imo. Sub looks way too dry as well.
I planned to dampen the substrate shortly before introducing the T (arriving Wednesday).

As for the hides, the cholla pieces are ~3 inches long while the T will be less than 1 inch DLS. Do you think they will still need more vertical space at that size? Less substrate or is the depth good?

Thank you all! :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No I was genuinely asking you my man! BUT now I can see the confusion. I agree they would appreciate higher up as well.
Haha gotcha. ;)

I definitely think so. I've raised all my Psalmos with taller hides. I wouldn't give that set up there to any tarantula.
Psalmos do usually burrow a bit, especially when young. Only one that's never burrowed was my pulcher.

@ErinM31 That spider will be 3" within 6 months easily.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Haha gotcha. ;)

I definitely think so. I've raised all my Psalmos with taller hides. I wouldn't give that set up there to any tarantula.
Psalmos do usually burrow a bit, especially when young. Only one that's never burrowed was my pulcher.

@ErinM31 That spider will be 3" within 6 months easily.
Oh wow! :wideyed: I knew they grew faster but...

So is the entire enclosure too small then or just needs more vertical furnishing? What sorts of hides and furnishings do you use for Psalmos and Pokies?

Thank you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, I’ll definitely add ventilation and a water dish. Perhaps I can find a clever way to attach it to the side so I can change it with more normal disturbance to the T...
The best I can think of is to fix something to the side wall that will hold another cup inside of it. A cup within a cup basically.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

So is the entire enclosure too small then or just needs more vertical furnishing? What sorts of hides and furnishings do you use for Psalmos and Pokies?

Thank you!
I use cork bark for both of them, slanted against the side. Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus have very similar husbandry needs and act pretty similar as well, though I think Psalmos are more defensive and Poecs are more skittish.

All four of my P. regalis slings have dug out the space under their cork bark and built up some durtains.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

Thank you!
1508188812938-1171907866.jpg
Moist sub, should be a little more here actually. But this ones a weird one. Likes to web like an Avic.
IMG_20171008_230715214_HDR.jpg
Same premise.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thank you!
My P. rufi was a sling and lived in a tall deli cup with some plastic plants, and cocofiber/vermic mix. He made a nice dirt curtain initially. In larger setups a cork tube that goes into the sub is good, at an angle so you can see inside it is helpful.

In the wild Poki's will live in a tall tree within a single hole inside the tree. The trees are often cut down just for that T.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That 8.2 cup enclosure equates to 65.6 ounces, which is twice the size of a 32 oz. deli cup. So the enclosure size will be fine for a while, you just need another 1.5" of substrate, moistened, and a cork tube or a piece of cork bark stuck into the substrate to keep it secure. I hot glued mine but it was a pain and it's gonna give me heck when I need to rehouse them.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I also cast a vote for a lengthier slab of bark. I often observe my P. cambridgeis and my P. regalis hanging out high atop the front-facing side of their cork bark. Plus, they have their little web den/tunnel on the opposite side (which is their source of privacy/security) if they get spooked.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I redid the enclosure with more substrate and height variance and added more ventilation down one side. What do you think? My adorable P. cambridgei sling arrived today and looks to have started making themselves at home in the lower piece of cholla. :happy:

CA246319-4CFB-4580-B5AE-9300B5E0AC91.jpeg
7614C4A2-0A1C-47B9-B1F4-2F16D734DDEF.jpeg

I prepared a second enclosure but am not as happy with it yet. It is difficult to find wood of ideal size and shape.

264C4964-CC55-4C01-8D60-2DF176DF37CC.jpeg

Yeah, I think I got carried away with the substrate there — the cholla is nearly buried! :wideyed:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My P. cambridgei appears to have relocated to the upper piece of cholla. Would you recommend also adding a piece of wood/cork slanting against the side, perhaps over the cholla, for the sling to web upward to?
4480E4DD-143D-4547-9D55-AC285E076022.jpeg

My second sling has already gone about modifying the second enclosure and making themselves at home but I’m thinking that I should still remove what excess substrate that I can without disturbing them and also more vertical space to expand to.
4FC3324C-4E14-4DFD-8DC1-13A61A2BF48E.jpeg

Thoughts?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
@ErinM31 I like the look of cholla cactus, unique alternative to cork! Renovation is better, but pretty heavy on the substrate. Not a huge issue though. :rofl:
Since I'm sooo frugal, I recycle/repurpose a lot, these 40oz. containers are my preference when housing arboreal/semi arboreal slings. Simple, clear, inverted, zero escapes to date and easy to clean after a rehouse. Successful with 3 sp. Psalms, 4 sp. Pokies, H. macs, S. calceatum even a P. carpenteri, no Avics since I don't keep any. Even when live prey get between the earth pool and enclosure side, slings have little to no problem capturing them. Inverted 40oz Arboreal.jpg
Just a "food for thought" post on my part. :)