Fire Belly Toad Vivarium

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I’ve been messing around with clay vs Great Stuff backgrounds. Clay has its place; definitely cheaper, but I really enjoy this foam! This is a 20L with (too many) Fire Belly Toads. The tank is only 12” high; I brought the water level up to 6”. I used a glass divider and angled it. The background has flat walkways so the toads have places to climb and perch. There are spaces between the background and the soil surface, and I hollowed some areas there to create caves. I wish I could live there, it looks like fun! The arrowhead is ‘Holly’. It has striking dark green edges and a green reverse. I used a lot of mosses, hypnum, dicranum, et.al. I ground the top edge of the glass to eliminate sharp edges, but I am going to remove the frogs, lower the water and seal rocks to the edges to help them climb out of the water. They struggle doing so and splash too much water into the dry land. I draped some moss over the edge but it only serves to wick more water into the dry land. [ATTACH=full]280525[/ATTACH] D03FA505-9F31-4E05-B8BF-A0D3C69D3920.jpeg 3BB8C9F7-1A2D-4DF2-B21F-EF0DF99F37E1.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They hate the bamboo stick. I sanded it a little to rough it for them, but they still don’t use it. I removed it.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
The water was cloudy. When it settles down I'll take more photos. And I need to rearrange some things. They love the caves; I love creating spaces they use!