1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Mardonius Parilis Acuticonus

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Nietzscha, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Nietzscha

Nietzscha Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I really want some sub adult or adult Mardonius parilis acuticonus millipedes to start keeping a small colony, and was wondering if anyone knew where I could possibly get a few older ones (in the United States)? All of the places I've seen them in the past seem to be out of stock! Also, I know they take 4-5 years to reach their full size; does anyone know what size/weight they typically have to be in order to start reproducing? I have been reading Millipedes in Captivity by Orin McMonigle, but I haven't come across information specific to the species.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. MrCrackerpants

MrCrackerpants Arachnoprince

tyi
    bugsincyberspace.com had some last week. They are gone now but they seem to be the only place to buy them recently. In the past they have been 3-3.5 inches long, which is a pretty good start for this species.

3. Nietzscha

Nietzscha Arachnopeon

I saw that they were out of stock... too bad, it seems my timing is all off!

4. MrCrackerpants

tyi
    You could contact them and ask when/if they will get more in. Is 3-3.5 inches big enough for you or are you looking for larger ones? I have not seen larger ones sold for a while. I was surprised bugsincyberspace.com were that large. The price was also very reasonable. They are a great species to keep in captivity. Good luck!

5. Nietzscha

Nietzscha Arachnopeon

3-3.5 would have been fine, I would have jumped on them had they still been available. Sigh :( Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. raisinjelly

raisinjelly Arachnoknight

Iowa
    Bugsincyberspace has the best prices on them by far as well, from what I've seen. You'll probably just have to play the waiting game unfortunately. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrCrackerpants

tyi
    They have been available and then unavailable for the last 4 months. I would email them and ask. They reply quickly. Good luck!

8. mukmewx

mukmewx Arachnosquire

Are you interested in A gigas?

9. Nietzscha

Nietzscha Arachnopeon

I would really prefer the Mardonius, since from what I understand, they do better in captivity. Also, I had been told that interstate travel of the A. gigas is no longer legal due to the fact that the mites they carry are potential pests. Am I wrong in this assumption? I'll contact Bugsincyberspace and see what he says pertaining to future availability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MrCrackerpants

tyi
    Cool! Hopefully Peter will get some more in. They are awesome millipedes. I highly recommend them.

11. ftorres

ftorres Arachnobaron Old Timer

Millipedes and more has some available, contact them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrCrackerpants

tyi
    Cool but they prices are pretty high on this species.

Price - $40.00 ea. for babies available 1"-3"

Peter sells his 3-4 inch juveniles for $24 each.

13. raisinjelly

raisinjelly Arachnoknight

Iowa
    Factor in the shipping too and you can buy the pede + shipping from Peter for practically what just the pede costs from them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrCrackerpants

tyi
    Good point. They also say "It grows to about 9" in length and gets about the same girth as the A. gigas (AGB)."

Those that have full grown adults, is this true? Don't females get bigger than males?