Finally, the wait is over!

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last night, when I got home from work at 6, I noticed that my female 3" B. smithi juvie had FINALLY made a molt mat. She's been premolt for nearly 6 weeks. lol Her opisthosoma has been black for a full moth.

She didn't flip over until 11:10 or so, as I was getting ready for bed. I set her up beside my bed and set an alarm for 1am, thinking that she would have "cracked her back" by then.

1am came and went, and she was still lying still on her back. I went back to sleep. At 6:30am I woke up again and my girl was still lying on her back with no changes. :rolleyes: Taking her time! She's always testing my patience!

At 7:15, she FINALLY started to emerge. Fangs, then carapace, legs...all that, of course, went rather quickly.

This girl is on a perfect 6 month molt schedule (she was my second-ever tarantula, too!). I bought her in December 2006. She had molted in November. Her next molt was May 8th, 2007. Then November 29, 2007. Then May 12th 2008, and today, November 5th 2008.

She's a good 3.5" now, and so bright. :) She's a very special member of my collection.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome! I love this species. My girl is on a 6-month molt cycle, as well. 2/8/08 then 8/8/08. :D

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can't beat them! My 2.5 incher was in premolt for about 3 weeks, it was constant anticipation!

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have some of those as well they are by far my favorite terrestial species. When mine was little I did not think they would ever molt it drove me crazy lol.

John

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful!!! How diligent of you. Of course there is that old adage:

"A watched tarantula never molts."
…or something like that LOL

Congrats!

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! I know the feeling. My B. emilia finally molted last night and I think I've been waiting about 6 weeks for her too! She's got a boyfriend waiting as well... :D

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats great ! My girl just molted a few weeks ago as well. In my opinon a freshly molted smithi is one of the most beautifull T.s in the hobby. :clap: