1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FINALLY (Ramble Warning)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mirandarachnid, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    I was out at my mom's house hunting for a centipede (or, y'know, other stuff that moves). It was a lovely morning, we had gotten about half an inch of rain the night before, so everything was lush and green. Surely I should find a pede, I thought, I know they hang out under these logs. Well, after rolling over the logs (The ones I'm able to move by myself, curse my lady arms), I started getting a bit discouraged because aside from the logs, all I have to flip over are rocks throughout the rest of my mom's property. There were some wildfires that swept through the canyon (in 2011 I believe?) that burnt up all the dead trees that had fallen over, or boards that were lying around, or like... 90% of things that were not made of metal.

Anywho, walking around, looking under rocks, not finding much other than ants. Oh look! four monarchs on a nightshade plant, fluttering their wings and drying off from the rain, that's lovely. It's getting hot and I'm being eaten by flying things, better turn in. But wait, look at that hole. I wonder if anybody is home?

Crouch.

Tickle tickle.

Tickle.

Whammy! A juvenile T attacks my tickle stick, then darts back into it's burrow.

After I gave myself a colorful talking to for investigating a burrow without having a cup in my hand, I started fishing for it with various weeds. I'd stick it down the burrow and wiggle it till I felt the hit, then slowly pull it towards me. All I could get were toes, then it would retreat. I was there for some unmeasured amount of time before my ManBearDavid called and told me he was running low on insulin while he was at work. I was bummed to leave, but, realistically I knew it was unlikely that I'd be able to lure the T out of it's burrow at that time. And, as my step-dad put it, I "had his address."

Several days later we had another half inch or so of rain, so I figured it was time for another walk through the canyon. This time, however, I had my male counterpart along. He's good luck.;) I figured we may as well roll over a couple logs before we start on our mission. Mr. Man rolls over the first log, and says, "Oooo! Ooo!" I quickly cup the S. polymorpha he's pointing at, and there is much rejoicing.

No need to roll over any other logs, we're quite happy with that catch. On to the tarantula.

First, we tried an earthworm on a string. Maybe it would hold onto food longer than it holds on to a plant? It did. In fact, it held on so tightly that it just ripped off a chunk, and seemed quite satisfied with the meal. Light was becoming a limited resource, so I decided to begin digging.

Luckily, the burrow was horizontally oriented in a burm on the side of slope, so I knew I would be able to remove the top layers of soil, then carefully work my way back from the mouth of the burrow. **The only reason I decided to dig the tarantula out is because the position and orientation of the burrow made me confident I could do so without harming the spider**

I instructed Davey-Bone on what sections to dig with the trowel, then I would use my cheese knife to scrape away at the burrow. After about an hour or so of careful work, I made a new friend and put it in a cup. (because that's what friends do.)

My mom is going to be selling this house soon, so catching this T from my childhood back-yard means the world to me.

I have it set up in a KK with nice deep sub. By the time I was done with my nails it had settled in and started digging out it's hide. I offered a superworm, and it graciously accepted.

Yay. :)

• Like Like x 20
    • Love Love x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight Active Member

That is awesome. I have been looking around my area for them because they are supposed to be here but I never have any luck.

3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I know perfectly what you mean. You are a splendid person :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Looking at the spider I am like...'what species is it??'

• Like Like x 1
  5. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    A. chalcodes maybe?

6. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    Looks a bit like A. hentzi to me. Congratulations on such a cool find!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

Would be cool if it was Aphonopelma johnnycashi. =)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    I'm also leaning towards A. hentzi.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Mirandarachnid

Texas
    Due to the location, both A. hentzi and A. armada are possible. @AphonopelmaTX gave me a link to thread of his with some comparison photos so that I can figure it out for sure once it molts. It kicked a good amount of hairs, and it's abdomen is pretty dark under the bald spots so hopefully it'll molt after I fatten it up a little.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Torech Ungol

Torech Ungol Arachnosquire Active Member

Wait, there's an Aphonopelma *armada*? Welp, that'll be the first time a spider has gone onto my wish list solely based on name, because that sounds badass.

(I like A. hentzi, so I know I'd like this one, too, so it's not *actually* just because of the name, but that kills the joke)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    Dont forget A. johnnycashi and H. davidbowie. There was a list I saw somewhere of a bunch of spiders named after famous people but I can't remember where I saw it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Shoulda named one an A avocado.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This thread makes me think of when I use to run at Mission Trails in San Diego and seeing T's laying around on the trail. I wasn't into tarantula then. After getting into the hobby, I have not seen one in the wild in Washington State. LOL (no flame, I know they are not found out here)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

They are perverse creatures, all of them born under the sign of Murphy: when you fear them or look on in disintetest, you see them everywhere; when you lust after them, they are nowhere to be found!

• Award Award x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Mirandarachnid

Texas
    BORN UNDER THE SIGN OF MURPHY :hilarious:

17. Razzledazzy

Razzledazzy Arachnosquire Active Member

I have to admit this is a very heartwarming story and it gives me a lot of peace to see something so wonderful happen to you. Part of it gives me hope that I might be able to go back to Logan, Utah (whereabouts I spent my rebellious teenage years) and find some living memento of those times. Good luck with the identification and let us know what you end up suspecting!

• Love Love x 1
  18. Mirandarachnid

Texas
    Thank you! Just need a molt and I'll know for sure :)

19. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

You bring up such an inspirational point. I have two chalcodes juvies that I rescued from my dad's shoe closet a couple of years ago and have raised up from babies. Chances are, these young 'uns will outlive my dad, who is nearly 80. They will always be the Tarantulas from my Dad's Shoe Closet, whether he is still around or not, a living credit to his compassion and tendency not to swat. It makes me sad happy to think about it. Thank you for raising this concept.

• Love Love x 2
  20. Razzledazzy

Razzledazzy Arachnosquire Active Member

Dovey that's so sweet I might cry! Bless those little chalcodes babies.

• Agree Agree x 1