Advertisement I was out at my mom's house hunting for a centipede (or, y'know, other stuff that moves). It was a lovely morning, we had gotten about half an inch of rain the night before, so everything was lush and green. Surely I should find a pede, I thought, I know they hang out under these logs. Well, after rolling over the logs (The ones I'm able to move by myself, curse my lady arms), I started getting a bit discouraged because aside from the logs, all I have to flip over are rocks throughout the rest of my mom's property. There were some wildfires that swept through the canyon (in 2011 I believe?) that burnt up all the dead trees that had fallen over, or boards that were lying around, or like... 90% of things that were not made of metal. Anywho, walking around, looking under rocks, not finding much other than ants. Oh look! four monarchs on a nightshade plant, fluttering their wings and drying off from the rain, that's lovely. It's getting hot and I'm being eaten by flying things, better turn in. But wait, look at that hole. I wonder if anybody is home? Crouch. Tickle tickle. Tickle. Whammy! A juvenile T attacks my tickle stick, then darts back into it's burrow. After I gave myself a colorful talking to for investigating a burrow without having a cup in my hand, I started fishing for it with various weeds. I'd stick it down the burrow and wiggle it till I felt the hit, then slowly pull it towards me. All I could get were toes, then it would retreat. I was there for some unmeasured amount of time before my ManBearDavid called and told me he was running low on insulin while he was at work. I was bummed to leave, but, realistically I knew it was unlikely that I'd be able to lure the T out of it's burrow at that time. And, as my step-dad put it, I "had his address." Several days later we had another half inch or so of rain, so I figured it was time for another walk through the canyon. This time, however, I had my male counterpart along. He's good luck. I figured we may as well roll over a couple logs before we start on our mission. Mr. Man rolls over the first log, and says, "Oooo! Ooo!" I quickly cup the S. polymorpha he's pointing at, and there is much rejoicing. No need to roll over any other logs, we're quite happy with that catch. On to the tarantula. First, we tried an earthworm on a string. Maybe it would hold onto food longer than it holds on to a plant? It did. In fact, it held on so tightly that it just ripped off a chunk, and seemed quite satisfied with the meal. Light was becoming a limited resource, so I decided to begin digging. Luckily, the burrow was horizontally oriented in a burm on the side of slope, so I knew I would be able to remove the top layers of soil, then carefully work my way back from the mouth of the burrow. **The only reason I decided to dig the tarantula out is because the position and orientation of the burrow made me confident I could do so without harming the spider** I instructed Davey-Bone on what sections to dig with the trowel, then I would use my cheese knife to scrape away at the burrow. After about an hour or so of careful work, I made a new friend and put it in a cup. (because that's what friends do.) My mom is going to be selling this house soon, so catching this T from my childhood back-yard means the world to me. I have it set up in a KK with nice deep sub. By the time I was done with my nails it had settled in and started digging out it's hide. I offered a superworm, and it graciously accepted. Yay.