Finally Back, With 3 New Friends

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. Over a year ago I made a post stating that I wanted to get a B. Albopilosum as my first tarantula. Since then I've gotteny first job, 2 cars, and things are going very well. About a month ago, I was gifted a ~2" B. Albopilosum, and about a week later I purchased a ~1.75" M. Balfouri and a ~4.5" female G. Porteri. I love them so much, although the M. Balfouri has become a pet hole that occasionally makes a cricket disappear. Oh well. Still happy to have one of my past dream species so soon. I'm wanting to tackle the rest of the species on my list in the order of: Grammostola Pulchripes, Caribena(formerly Avicularia) Versicolor, Pterinopelma Sazimai, Poecilotheria Metallica, Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Brachypelma Hamorii, and then a Prerinochilus Murinus. I'm so happy to be apart of this community, and plan on posting here much more now that I have some wonderful little T's of my own.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I'm wanting to tackle the rest of the species on my list in the order of: Grammostola Pulchripes, Caribena(formerly Avicularia) Versicolor, Pterinopelma Sazimai, Poecilotheria Metallica, Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Brachypelma Hamorii, and then a Prerinochilus Murinus.
You're gonna need a longer list if you plan on hanging around this place. We're all a bunch of enablers that that will help you power through that liat on no time. :p

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
You're gonna need a longer list if you plan on hanging around this place. We're all a bunch of enablers that that will help you power through that liat on no time. :p
Heh. Funny. Right after I posted this, I got a reply from a guy on Craigslist, and my list may be going out the window, as I may be purchasing a Caribena Versicolor and a Poecilotheria Ornata in a week or so.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I am happy to read of your enthusiasm. However, after the upcoming acquisitions, you may want to consider letting the initial “dust settle” and get your feet on the ground for a few months tending to your T’s, getting into a routine, and doing some research on the ones you have. You have a pretty wide ranging list of genera that all have very unique needs and characteristics. I think that’s great, as my collection is varied like that for the most part. Because of that, I know you are going to be confronted with very real considerations because of the variety. Example, your G. porteri will be comfortable in the same enclosure for a long time, if not permanently at its size. If that P. ornata is a sling or juvie, your gonna be rehousing a few times the first year. I moved about as fast as you seem to be initially and all worked out generally okay, but I dropped the ball big time on a couple occasions because I thought I was pretty good, and found out I wasn’t close, learning some very hard lessons. Just be thoughtful, I don’t doubt you are, but it’s good to hear it now and again. Welcome!

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
I am happy to read of your enthusiasm. However, after the upcoming acquisitions, you may want to consider letting the initial “dust settle” and get your feet on the ground for a few months tending to your T’s, getting into a routine, and doing some research on the ones you have. You have a pretty wide ranging list of genera that all have very unique needs and characteristics. I think that’s great, as my collection is varied like that for the most part. Because of that, I know you are going to be confronted with very real considerations because of the variety. Example, your G. porteri will be comfortable in the same enclosure for a long time, if not permanently at its size. If that P. ornata is a sling or juvie, your gonna be rehousing a few times the first year. I moved about as fast as you seem to be initially and all worked out generally okay, but I dropped the ball big time on a couple occasions because I thought I was pretty good, and found out I wasn’t close, learning some very hard lessons. Just be thoughtful, I don’t doubt you are, but it’s good to hear it now and again. Welcome!
Luckily, the P. Ornata is already mostly grown and in a decent sized Exo-Terra enclosure. I'm avoiding slings for now, especially old world. I thought about it, and I'm gonna wait another month or so at least before I buy these, of he still has them then. I appreciate the response. After these I'm most certainly gonna slow myself down. I'm just being offered a really good deal for them, considering they are both about 5" already, and come with Exo-Terra enclosures.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Luckily, the P. Ornata is already mostly grown and in a decent sized Exo-Terra enclosure. I'm avoiding slings for now, especially old world. I thought about it, and I'm gonna wait another month or so at least before I buy these, of he still has them then. I appreciate the response. After these I'm most certainly gonna slow myself down. I'm just being offered a really good deal for them, considering they are both about 5" already, and come with Exo-Terra enclosures.
See, I guessed you were thoughtful. Slings will come, mine did by accident as freebies when I bought juvies and sub-adults. They were thrust upon me, but that’s now all I buy. Plus, the growing into them is pretty cool. Enjoy.

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
See, I guessed you were thoughtful. Slings will come, mine did by accident as freebies when I bought juvies and sub-adults. They were thrust upon me, but that’s now all I buy. Plus, the growing into them is pretty cool. Enjoy.
Oh yeah. I'm excited to get some slings eventually. But I definitely need to hold off on it until I can figure out a definite routine and get more well established. Before I decided on purchasing more T's from this guy, I was considering ordering from Fear Not Tarantulas. Their $50 freebie right now is a 3/4" OBT. And the OBT is on my long term wishlist, and it would be nice to score a free one, but that's much smaller of a tarantula than I think I'm ready to care for, and I definitely need more experience before I pick up an OBT. After these two that I'm gonna purchase in a month or so, I'm thinking I might be ready to try a G. Pulchripes sling awhile after that.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
OBT are cheap (like 5 bucks) so just wait on that one until you are more confident.