final measurement on my 'giant' redknee

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My recently demised red knee has a final leg measurement of 7 3/8 inches and a carapace of 30mm (sorry about the different units but somehow i find legspan in inches gives most a better feel for size than cm) making her more pampho size than brachypelma!

her death could have been caused by smoke damage from a bad housefire so potentially she could have got a little big bigger but close to 7 1/2 inches is good enough for me!

as far as im aware thats the biggest red knee measurement out there, i'll post a scaled photo if needed.

pic added. Her abdomen is tiny as I dissected out the contents ready for putting in cotton to fill it back up.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about losing her, but that is a pretty big smithi!

I don't think you'd need to post pics to prove it, but I'd sure like to see them just to see them!

--Joe

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about losing her, but that is a pretty big smithi!

I don't think you'd need to post pics to prove it, but I'd sure like to see them just to see them!

--Joe
i added a pic. i'd posted her final moult pic last year and its pretty much the same although i did mismeasure the carapaces as 31mm, anyway 30mm is the final size.

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's pretty astonishing. most likely one of the biggest out there.

however, i wouldn't want mine to grow that big haha. yeah i know that's weird, but i'm more to a standardised size thingy, so i have ALL medium sized terresterials, all in the same KK containers.

wickedly psycho i know. might go for giant Ts if space and money allows tho.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Definitely a big spider. I don't think my smithi's that big, but I do have a monster as well.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how big do smithi's get???
upto 7 3/8 inch! :)

lets assume that mine isnt the largest smith ever but shes probably close to largest possible size, 7 3/4 or even 8 inches could be achievable?????

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
isnt there a species that looks identical to the smithis, but reaches much larger sizes, i thought i read that somewhere recently.

John

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whoops, i see that this should have been in the announcements, not the discussion, fixed!