Ficus poisoning in mantid

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Data thread.
A 4th instar Tenodera sinensis nymph was in a cage with a miniature Ficus benjamina, which I assumed to be safe as long as the plant wasn't injured. Today, an hour or so after misting the enclosure, I found the mantis still on the Ficus but with little or no grip with its oustretched walking legs and its prothoracic legs drawn close to the head: frozen in a drinking posture. Its mouthparts, legs, and antennae were capable of weak movement.
In order to flush the toxin (I can only infer it drank) I gave it more water and left it alone on a harmless Chlorophytum spider plant. Now, 7 hours later, the mantis is quiet but standing, walking, and looking around normally.
The plant had only been pruned well over a month ago, but it seems probable that the mantis drank from a scar with hardened sap which leached into the water droplet. Both I and the mantis are blessed that it was only a small amount, and I won't be putting anything like that with my bugs again.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is an extremely interesting read. Good to get the dangers of Ficus out there!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think I can help you out here. When I was working with rhus toxicondendra, poison oak/ivy, it was explained to me that during the plant's normal 24 hours respiration cycle it will exude some of it's sap onto the surface of the leaves. This is why urushiol, the toxicondendra sap contained within the plant, is available to cause the itching and rash. Normally the exudation takes place during the nocturnal cycle. One theory is this helps clean and prepare the surfaces of the plant for the next photosynthesis cycle.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I think I can help you out here. When I was working with rhus toxicondendra, poison oak/ivy, it was explained to me that during the plant's normal 24 hours respiration cycle it will exude some of it's sap onto the surface of the leaves. This is why urushiol, the toxicondendra sap contained within the plant, is available to cause the itching and rash. Normally the exudation takes place during the nocturnal cycle. One theory is this helps clean and prepare the surfaces of the plant for the next photosynthesis cycle.
That's the kind of thing I love to learn! Thanks.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I fervently have wished for years that Botany 101 was taught in grade school by enthusiastic horticulturists. As is stands, most people don't really understand plants or have much of a clue what they do. They are these usually green things that grow a bit when given the right environment.

Plants respirate. They breathe just like humans with a full cycle of in and out usually taking 24 hours. They take in carbon dioxide and water, free the hydrogen atom and exhale oxygen in a very sophisticated process. Humans replicating the hydrogen separation process have to use many megawatts of electricity to produce similar results. In their seasonal cycles some plants release so much moisture during the nocturnal respiration cycle it appears to have rained under them with certain trees releasing many gallons of water each night.

Plants are capable of motion. Many turn their leaves or blooms to the sun, or away from it. Examples: The Asian Silk tree folds it's leaves at night to preserve moisture. The sensitive mimosa curls the leaves up on an entire branch in seconds when a single leaf gets touched.

Photosynthesis isn't just the process of turning light into useful energy, it is a powerful machine. It would take several thousand watts of electricity running a pretty powerful pump to emulate the giant sequoia's nutrient distribution system.

Additionally, the vast majority of modern day medicines have their origins in plants. Some plants are able to mutate in a few generations where animals undergoing similar mutations commonly take millions of years.

And of course a little conservationism tossed in: Without plants, life on this planet would instantly cease to exist yet we continue to destroy watershed at an alarming and ever increasing rate every year.

Last edited: