1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female P. Metallica Tapping

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Nepenthe56, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Nepenthe56

Nepenthe56 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I was feeding my spiders and came to my P. metallica. She's about 5". She didn't seem too interested in the superworm, but was unusually calm compared to other times I feed her (she's usually pretty skittish). I tried offering the superworm again and she reared up with her front legs off the glass, then began tapping one of her legs on the side of her enclosure. She'd do a series of fast taps every 10 or 15 seconds. I'd say 5 to 7 taps at a time. Is she tapping to try to find a mate?

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

If there are no males in the vicinity then no. Tarantulas have a lot of weird and somewhat random behaviours when met with prey or a threat

3. Nepenthe56

Nepenthe56 Arachnopeon

Thanks Kezy. I'd just never seen her do anything like that before. I would say I do have male tarantulas, just not any male pokies at the moment.

4. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

I've heard about inter-genera tapping before, it's possible if one of your MMs is tapping, she is tapping back. I'm not sure they'd really be able to tell the difference, you know? At least not from a distance.

It's also possible there might have been a slight vibration in her enclosure that felt to her like an MM's tapping and she responded.

Or yeah, as Kezy said, she might just be doing some quirky tarantula thing we'll never fully understand. Or at least not until the study of arachnids becomes much better funded. People research but it's not exactly top-priority stuff. I'm fairly certain most research is funded and conducted by spider-enthusiasts. Could be wrong though. I know enough about keeping them, a bit about their anatomy, but when it comes to the scientific side of the hobby I'm at a loss.

Or. Maybe she was just really feelin' herself today and was checking to see if any hot MMs were around to tap back. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nepenthe56

Nepenthe56 Arachnopeon

Either way, after her next molt I'll be finding her a boyfriend. ;)

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I'd record it, and see if you can turn her music into a hit single.

7. Nepenthe56

Nepenthe56 Arachnopeon

Oh you really overestimate my music editing capabilities! Besides, I haven't observed her doing it again since then.

• Funny Funny x 1