Female Dubia Prolapses?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
My cat got up on the invert rack and knocked my very small starter colony down, murdering about five right away. After this I noticed one female had a prolapse. I consulted a friend who breeds roaches and she told me sometimes the ootheca will come out and go back in. I figured this would happen, but I found her very weak and practically dead within two days. Now another female has prolapsed and met the same fate as the other one.
I've heard this can happen when roaches are stressed. Could the fall have freaked these two girls out enough to try to "abort" the ootheca, as I have been reading about? Or is there something else wrong?
We feed our roaches ample "roach food" (dog food, cat food, some chicken food, and I **think** corn. It's prebought). I give them oranges and other veggies from my bearded dragon. My house doesn't have central air, so ambient temps are currently warm enough to not supply extra heating. I basically leave them alone and tend to their food/hydration needs about twice a week, which from what I've heard may be excessive. Could me dumping food in too often have stressed them out as well?
I'd appreciate any feed back, as I've actually become quite fond of these feeders and want a thriving colony like I hear so much about from other people.

MossPiglet

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry to hear about this incident! Naughty kitty. I think the stress of the fall is probably the reason for the abort and not the feeding disturbance. It's cute you're so keen on them, I like them a lot, too. Don't worry too much and keep a watchful eye, I'm sure in a few months, you wont know what to do with your growing colony.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry to hear about this incident! Naughty kitty. I think the stress of the fall is probably the reason for the abort and not the feeding disturbance. It's cute you're so keen on them, I like them a lot, too. Don't worry too much and keep a watchful eye, I'm sure in a few months, you wont know what to do with your growing colony.
Thank you! I'm just sad some of my ladies and gentlemen had to go. I need to get more adults after this accident.
But yes I always thank my dubia before feeding them. They're cute little buggers

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
My guess is yes, the fall stressed them out so even if they weren't physically hurt, they were still shocked enough to cause them problems. Sorry to hear about your losses. I don't think getting into their container twice a week does them any harm. Maybe surprises them, but you bring goodies, so they're probably quick to forgive.

I recently got some Dubias to use as feeders and found them to be cuter than expected. Oops. Not getting attached is difficult because they're just so darn interesting when they're fat and healthy.