Feild cricket care?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I caught a pair of these in the woods I can’t seem to get them to eat roach chow and it molds because I have given them too high of humidity.
Any tips to care for these?
Food source???

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Have you decided to keep them and attempt breeding? They can't possibly smell as bad as petco crix.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Have you decided to keep them and attempt breeding? They can't possibly smell as bad as petco crix.
Yes I’m trying to figure out what to feed them, roach chow molds until the cage dries out and I tried a slice of carrot but they didn’t eat it. They Don’t smell bad at all . I left substrate a little wet incase the female lay eggs. I gotta mature chirping male too.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
I've never bred any crickets but I might try dry sub, protein source like fish food in a dish, a fruit or vegetable slice in a separate dish, and another shallow dish or tub of moistened substrate on the opposite side of the food, good ventilation and maybe a tiny spritz on the side once in a great while. No idea really, but that's the first way I'd try. Probably shouldn't use them as feedrs, unless you can confirm %100 no parasites, I don't even know how you could do that though.
Oh, and some hiding places so they don't pick on each other so much.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've never bred any crickets but I might try dry sub, protein source like fish food in a dish, a fruit or vegetable slice in a separate dish, and another shallow dish or tub of moistened substrate on the opposite side of the food, good ventilation and maybe a tiny spritz on the side once in a great while. No idea really, but that's the first way I'd try. Probably shouldn't use them as feedrs, unless you can confirm %100 no parasites, I don't even know how you could do that though.
They won’t be used as feeders just the offspring if they have any. If it’s a fail and If get no baby crickets then I’ll call it a failure. But I got a pair .

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
They won’t be used as feeders just the offspring if they have any. If it’s a fail and If get no baby crickets then I’ll call it a failure. But I got a pair .
I wouldn't even use the first round of offspring. Have another enclosure set up to remove the babies from the parents as soon as possible.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Gross. Just buy 50 adults from the pet shop for $5 and start your own colony

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Gross. Just buy 50 adults from the pet shop for $5 and start your own colony
It’s more of a project I have enough feeder roaches for all my Ts. My pet shops don’t sell adult crickets; and the ones they sell die fast.
I wouldn't even use the first round of offspring. Have another enclosure set up to remove the babies from the parents as soon as possible.
then if I’m to use the second batch of babies I’d have to find out what they eat. Roach chow molds they don’t touch it; I’m afraid it’s going to be a failure 😞..
I’d set them free but 2 crickets won’t survive the city.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
It’s more of a project I have enough feeder roaches for all my Ts. My pet shops don’t sell adult crickets; and the ones they sell die fast.

then if I’m to use the second batch of babies I’d have to find out what they eat. Roach chow molds they don’t touch it; I’m afraid it’s going to be a failure 😞..
Never used roach chow, even for roaches. Have you kept it in a separate dish and changing it out every day?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Why is it gross?
Nothing in particular, just crickets be gross. They smell like foot fungus and ammonia to me so I can't keep them

Sounds like a fun project to get them to breed, hope they don't sing to you all night.

Your roach chow shouldn't be molding. You're doing something wrong if it is.

Never used roach chow, even for roaches. Have you kept it in a separate dish and changing it out every day?
It's a good dry food and source of protein. I use it as a general all around nutritious staple diet that I supplement with veggies daily.

I pour it in a shallow dish, they usually finish it by the end of the second day. They always swarm it when I pour it out first and seem to prefer it over the lettuce, carrots, peas and oranges I give them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I tried that it molded and I can’t remove the lid or cricket can jump out. Maybe i should wait until the container dries .. proof the crickets chomped some of the carrot was found. IMG_4357.jpeg IMG_4356.jpeg
Nothing in particular, just crickets be gross. They smell like foot fungus and ammonia to me so I can't keep them

Sounds like a fun project to get them to breed, hope they don't sing to you all night.

Your roach chow shouldn't be molding. You're doing something wrong if it is.

It's a good dry food and source of protein. I use it as a general all around nutritious staple diet that I supplement with veggies daily.

I pour it in a shallow dish, they usually finish it by the end of the second day. They always swarm it when I pour it out first and seem to prefer it over the lettuce, carrots, peas and oranges I give them.
My dubia and orange heads love roach chow . It’s gone quicker from Dubias.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Deeper enclosure, maybe?

I used hamster food when I did breed roaches.
I could switch their container and 100% dry dirt out but how do I know if I’m not losing eggs if the female layed some or not ?? I do have a taller container but I’m using it for when I clean my roach bin out . Or should I leave a moist corner for egg laying? Or go 100% dry dirt and use my taller bin .

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
You're guess is as good as mine. Either find a different enclosure or figure out how to keep track of two crickets.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You're guess is as good as mine. Either find a different enclosure or figure out how to keep track of two crickets.
I’ll just keep feeding them veggie slices until the container dries enough for roach chow. Which it has loads of ventilation, I’ve noticed small gnats in my t room. They are going after my feeder mealworms I had to toss out the oats that got wet . These crickets are fat they just eat as a water source.
There in a gasket bin with loads and loads of ventilation.

Last edited: