Feeling sorry for live food.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I sometimes feel bad for my dubias. Like @Jason B, I found that I quite like my dubia colony. When feeding, I have to actively focus on the fact that these are feeders, and my animals need to eat.
It is a strange bittersweet feeling, being excited that the T pounced on a fresh meal, and sadness for the dying roach. However, I combat this sadness by knowing that I am giving even the dubia colonies the best care that I can. They have good lives...until they don't.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Every now and then when I feed superworms I can't help but feel bad for them, still moving around as their being eaten for pretty long periods.

I've come back to the T room to see some were still alive even after being fed about 30 minutes prior, they really struggle hard too so now I try and pre kill the worm so it doesn't get eaten alive.

louise f

Arachnoangel
@basin79 I would have been terrified for that monster too if i was that cricket. :anxious: With that said, i dont look so much at the prey when i feed my 8 legged wonders.
I just enjoy the pleasure of making them thrive with a full belly :kiss::D Feeders, i dont see them more than feeders.

would you hesitating eating a steak when you know it comes from a cow, or a pig. Not me. :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 I would have been terrified for that monster too if i was that cricket. :anxious: With that said, i dont look so much at the prey when i feed my 8 legged wonders.
I just enjoy the pleasure of making them thrive with a full belly :kiss::D Feeders, i dont see them more than feeders.

would you hesitating eating a steak when you know it comes from a cow, or a pig. Not me. :D
I'm not saying to feel sorry for them all the time. It was just the picture I took made me think. To be fair usually with T's prey gets mashed up before their venom even gets or looks to work.

And Lou I don't eat pork because I love pigs.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I'm not saying to feel sorry for them all the time. It was just the picture I took made me think. To be fair usually with T's prey gets mashed up before their venom even gets or looks to work.

And Lou I don't eat pork because I love pigs.
I get your point, and the picture is freakin awesome, it just really shows the eyes of the cricket really close up.
You dont eat pork, what ?? I do love pigs too, mostly the small ones they are cute. <3 I would love one of those mini pigs they are freakin adorable. <3 But I`m not allowed to have it in my area. Damn.
But the adults i dont mind eating. But cattle i just can`t eat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
@basin79
We might feel worse about eating them if we had to kill them ourselves, before eating them...but I get your point.

I just don't like seeing an animal suffer, but I'm a hypocrite, I will go home and have a steak with a nice beer and side of potatoes. ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
@basin79would you hesitating eating a steak when you know it comes from a cow, or a pig.
Absolutely, but I'm not the type to preach to other people and try to convert them. I ate meat into my 30s, and I love the way it tastes, so I'm not any better than anyone else in terms of creating demand for meat. Especially pork!

The reason I changed my behavior later in life is that in my opinion, there is a world of difference between a cricket and a pig in terms of intelligence, perception, and the ability to feel emotions and suffer. I actually don't care as much about the killing of the animals for food, but their lives up to that point (99.99% of their lives) shouldn't be miserable. We don't eat dogs, and there are laws protecting dogs from abuse and neglect, but pigs are at least as smart as they are, so I find it weird and rather arbitrary which animals it's acceptable to eat and keep in poor conditions.

Last edited:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Now I know, but I think it's interesting and this section gets the most traffic.

I fed one of my centipedes earlier (Scolopendra hardwickei) and got some pics.

This one really grabbed me as I could see a look of terror on the crickets face. Now we all know that a cricket can't physically express that look but to me it's there to see.

I know T's mash crickets up fast but have you ever felt sorry for one in particular?

The only time I've ever felt sorry for feeders is the once a year I used to feed live rodents to my S.Gigantea, S.Mutilans, L.Parahybana, A.Geniculatta, and B.Smithi(Hamorii)

But that was only a twinge as I feed live to my snakes. It's the circle of life

louise f

Arachnoangel
We don't eat dogs, and there are laws protecting dogs from abuse and neglect,
No and thank god for that, and yet still some places i heard that they do eat dogs, christ. :banghead::banghead:
I dont know if pigs are just as cleaver as dogs. I never thought of that.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I do feel a bit bad for the dubias, but only because right now they are being fed off pretty slowly. My MF L. difficilis is the only that eats them and she only eats once a fortnight. But I've now had many of these roaches for 4-6 months, and I've watched them grow from young juvie roaches to adults. They are starting to breed and I've had one or two die from old-age.

Crickets, I can't feed them off fast enough. May they die and burn in hell.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I could never do that, so then i would just eat salat.:p I couldn`t even kill a chicken. :D
See now if I felt the same I'd only eat salad.

If you're not prepared to kill the animal you're about to eat then I don't feel you "deserve" to eat that animal.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't hesitate either. I'm too much of a carnivore. Pigs, cows, chickens, its all good. Hell, I'd probably even try to eat a dead person if necessary to live, like those plane crash survival movies. I'll throw that leg on the fire and have me some Bjork chops. :astonished::D

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Meat is meat. In some places they eat dogs, it's the livestock they have access to. People in western nations eat cows and pigs which are considered as intelligent, if not more so than dogs and cats. I'm not going to knock anyone who eats meat, I just don't see how someone can speak on animal compassion when they pretty much enable cruelty.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Absolutely, but I'm not the type to preach to other people and try to convert them. I ate meat into my 30s, and I love the way it tastes, so I'm not any better than anyone else in terms of creating demand for meat. Especially pork!

The reason I changed my behavior later in life is that in my opinion, there is a world of difference between a cricket and a pig in terms of intelligence, perception, and the ability to feel emotions and suffer. I actually don't care as much about the killing of the animals for food, but their lives up to that point (99.99% of their lives) shouldn't be miserable. We don't eat dogs, and there are laws protecting dogs from abuse and neglect, but pigs are at least as smart as they are, so I find it weird and rather arbitrary which animals it's acceptable to eat and keep in poor conditions.
I'm a 11 year vegetarian and now a four year vegan. I agree

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well, let's see... Frozen/Thawed mice and rats for the snakes? No. Crickets? Absolutely not. Horn/Meal/Silk/Super/Wax worms? Nope. Dubia? Maybe a little, raising multiple generations of any animal shows you care, even if it is so they are better livestock.

The one and only time that comes to mind is a trip to a Rhode Island pet store. I was meeting a friend there and since Pandora (my Rainbow Boa) was due for food I figured I'd grab it there.
Should add that I am against live feeding of snakes, big softie that doesn't like seeing any animals hurt I guess. So, finish chatting with my friend, seeing all the animals, etc. I go ask about feeders, the employee goes to check and comes back with a tiny LIVE rat pup... I've had some bad experiences with the common pet rodents, so I really don't care for any of them. Or maybe I do, because as soon as I saw the little black and white rat pup, I couldn't bring myself to buy him. I passed on him. I know it probably didn't change his fate sadly.
Had to make a pit stop at Cold Blooded Pets on the way back so Pandora could get her food though.

louise f

Arachnoangel
See now if I felt the same I'd only eat salad.

If you're not prepared to kill the animal you're about to eat then I don't feel you "deserve" to eat that animal.
That's why we got butchers my friend. Those are for chickens like me. :D