Feeding tips, help on handfeeding (cockatiel)

Mrk Socias

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to ask if i can still hand feed this bird, my friend gave me a bird last last night, because his breeder bird died, and he said this bird still need parent to be able to eat, he gave it and said it still needs handfeed, bit until now the bird didn't eat. Please help me, some advice on handfeeding.

Ps. My friend can't keep him because he have an office work, and birds don't allow in their office,

Ps. I am a tarantula keeper and I don't have big knowledge about birds

Attachments

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
He should be old enough to eat from a spoon, but he'll need breeding formula. It's absolutely insane that he gave you such a little guy. Could you take a picture of the lil sweetheart's crop (the underside of the neck)?

If he won't take spoon feeding, you'll need to syringe feed. And if you can't find parrot breeding formula, you can also use partot pellets soaked in warm apple juice.

Do you have a thermometer and needleless syringe?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Just don't feed anything too hot -- crop burn is a real thing.
Formula is good idea.
I also used to dip my fingers in baby food and let my baby macaw eat it that way -- she would even shake my fingers up-n-down as if a parent was forcing mushed food into her beak/throat.

Good luck!!!

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Slow crop is also a thing. If the food is too cold, the lil guy won't be able to digest it, leading to sour crop (a serious infection).