Feeding tarantulas fish.

Dabalya

Arachnopeon
Has anyone tried to feed their tarantula fish or know someone who did ?
I am curious about this topic.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
I honestly cant see how this would be beneficial. After all, even in the wild T's are VERY unlikely to come across fish!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Nothing wrong with feeding them fish, just make sure they are an appropriate size...and clean out the bolus afterwards.

cold blood

Staff member
Most ts will readily take a small fish. I have seen vids of them eating goldfish, I personally have fed guppies a few times back when I had a breeding population.

On top of that, I have seen more than one vid of a t, usually a H. gigas, hunting fish at the side of the pool and catching them successfully.

I don't see how it would be an issue.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Make sure that the fish hve been gut loaded and are “cleaned out” from any harmful chemicals while they were at the pet store and whatnot, but other than that it should be fine.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, most tarantulas arent picky...and will eat pretty much anything that moves. If you're trying live minnows, feed them in a shallow water dish, this will make it much easier for the spider to catch.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
On top of that, I have seen more than one vid of a t, usually a H. gigas, hunting fish at the side of the pool and catching them successfully.
Youtube has quite a few examples of this. Some people will go so far as to keep H. gigas in a paludarium with a significant water feature to watch them fish in the water. If I remember correctly, RobC even tried to do this with a piece of pond liner and the T's fangs pierced it and flooded the tank :wideyed:

Thanks,
--Matt

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Youtube has quite a few examples of this. Some people will go so far as to keep H. gigas in a paludarium with a significant water feature to watch them fish in the water. If I remember correctly, RobC even tried to do this with a piece of pond liner and the T's fangs pierced it and flooded the tank :wideyed:

Thanks,
--Matt
I was just about to bring up RobC. He was obsessed with making that H. gigas swim for the camera; I kind of felt bad for it. He never caught it on film, but his H. gigas would eat multiple fish overnight.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Make sure that the fish hve been gut loaded and are “cleaned out” from any harmful chemicals while they were at the pet store and whatnot, but other than that it should be fine.
This. Feeder fish sold at pet stores are dirty, dirty things. As a treat and not a staple diet, it would probably be fine... but I still prefer to house feeders for a few days first to get good food into them.

I was just about to bring up RobC. He was obsessed with making that H. gigas swim for the camera; I kind of felt bad for it. He never caught it on film, but his H. gigas would eat multiple fish overnight.
Was he dropping the T into water or something? How else does one "make" a T swim?

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Was he dropping the T into water or something? How else does one "make" a T swim?
He'd just harass it towards the water, then it would dive and swim to the hide to get away from him. He'd continue to poke it underwater and it would swim around evading him.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, you can, still IMO isn't worth at all, if you ask me. There's already a quite, healthy enough for T's, 'offer' from crickets to roaches to worms etc for their diet.

Another rule I follow since forever is... why complicate things, especially already 'easy' ones like T's keeping?

Leaving out for a moment the ethical question, think about offering a live mice to (huge) T's and 'pedes. Bwaaaaah :vomit: the last thing I freaking want is to clean all of that blood and mess from/in the substrate. The smell, yikes.

Same more or less for a fish, plus, like @mantisfan101 pointed out, you need to be sure of this and that. Now that for me is bothering/complicating too much.

No, thanks :)

@Angelala
Yours is one of the most lovely avatar I've seen: a Mexican 'Day of the Dead' with a spider :)

Last edited by a moderator: