Feeding Slings

spyderlady

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just bought 1 a. versicolor sling & 1 c. fasciatum sling from a reptile show in Arlington, TX yesterday. They're too small for the petstore small crix so, could I crush a large cricket? :?

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
with my slings i had to do that a few times, just make sure the cricket's dead and if they're hungry theyll eat it

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Flightless fruit flies. They don't bite and are tiny enough for the smallest slings. If you buy a vial of them (about $5 a vial at our local Pet***** store) you can propagate more yourself at home easily. There are a few good recipes for culture medium to raise them in online.

bakaichi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grab a meal worm, chop it up in to small chunk and throw it in.
if they dont snatch it in 24 hour remove it and try another peice

or use small pin head cricket..

beardslykrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cricket legs, or crush the small crickets head. that would be alot easier than going out and finding pinheads or fruit flies

Tuwin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just crush the heads of the pin head and small crickets and my tiny slings eat them soon as they hit the substrate

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually fruit flies are not difficult to find and there's no head crushing needed. Just dump a bunch in and the sling will do the rest.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia will prefer flies and moths (probably). If it gets hungry - it will eat just about anything ;)

As for fasciatum - kill a mealworm and throw it into it's terrarium. It should scavange on it. Won't eat the whole thing, though. It will probably be too big.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say pin-heads cuz mealworms or mealworm parts spoil easy..

I have a 1" A. versicolor and had actually never tried pre-killing until this week... did find though that they are picky eaters and not 'beasts' when it comes to mealtime..

also with avics... if your lil one makes a tube-web way up top, you can put pre-killed prey right on/in the web.. won't last as long as leaving it on the substrate... which as I have seen Avic's could care less for going down there for a few days..

dj_flip03

Arachnopeon
How about feeding them with B.Lateralis? Is that as good as what the others were suggesting? I friend of mine gave me a colony of those (secured in a KK) and it seems my T's love 'em.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a note on the fruit flys....I've heard they're either low or deficient in amino acids or fatty acids or something. Anyway I guess this lack of whatever it is can cause T's to have molting problems so you just want to make sure you don't feed your slings fruit flys exclusively...although I have also heard you can buy the substance to put on them before feeding but I could see that as being a hassle.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I chose to use tiny dead crickets. I slash their necks with a very precise knife and they still have nerves to kick with their legs. Even the pickiest live eaters take them. You could also try cutting off a mealworm segment and feeding that or feed live fruit flies.
TBH