1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding Routines

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lost In Space, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Lost In Space

Lost In Space Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have a 2.5" - 3" Avicularia azuraklaasi and I feed her every Tuesday and Friday. When do you guys think the meals should be cut down to only once a week? I've been told numerous times Juveniles should be fed more than adults but there are always some people out there who like to feed juvies once a week. Keep in mind she does always eat them. Also I only have one T, and I must buy crickets per dozen.. which is alright i guess since they are cheap.

2. Walk Alone

Walk Alone Arachnosquire

N/A
    There is a lot of personal preference involved in feeding.

Once mine are around 2", I feed once a week. The smaller ones get hit twice a week. That's always the way I've done it and it works well for me.

3. All of my Ts get fed based on if they need it or not. The size of their abdomen is a good indication for this. Also some species have a higher metabolic rate and it also depends on that temperature your keeping your Ts at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. For everything under 3inches I offer food once a week any thing over I offer once every two weeks they get a 30 minute window to take the feeders and if they don't take them I remove them till the next feeding. It works for me and I havnt had any troubles....

5. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

I feed all my slings and juvies twice a week and my adults once a week. I also keep my T room at about 85-90 degrees farenheit. So they need those extra calories. :p

But as said, I also look at their rumps to see how big it is. I don't need to have any of my babies bust. D:

6. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

Wow...that's hot! I don't know if I could stand to be in there to do feedings or maintenance for more than a few minutes before I'd have to bail out!

7. maxfightmaster

maxfightmaster Arachnosquire

i feed my slings one cricket the about the same size as the sling once a week. slings that are under 1/2" i kill the cricket and leave it in there for 24 hours. my 3" - adults i feed a superworm once ever two weeks. tho with my 3.5" B smithi i have to alternate superworm and large crickets every two weeks, or she will get to fat.

8. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

VA, USA
    +1
    This is pretty much the rule of thumb that I follow. Also depends on the individual. I've got an Aphonopelma sp with 'fat butt syndrome', and a juvenile B. emilia with a cyst that only get fed once a month. My 3+" N. chromatus is in a gangly teenaged phase and has 8 hollow legs, so it gets fed about every 5 days.

9. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

Did you make your T room?

10. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

It is pretty hot, but I don't mind.

11. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

Yes I did.

12. mark e sic

mark e sic Arachnosquire

13. Shrike

Shrike Arachnoprince Old Timer

It sounds like you need more tarantulas ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

:) It's lovely. But my T room has developed into a critter room because I have a lot of different things in there now.

15. mark e sic

mark e sic Arachnosquire

so if you buy crickets by the dozen.. you should go get 11 more T.s that way none go to waste!... just kidding... (im serious) :)

16. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

I do not really follow a set feeding schedule but I feed all the young spiders generally or on average once every two weeks. I am not in a hurry to make them grow up fast.

17. Shell

Shell ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker

This sounds just like how I feed. I have no real feeding schedule, but I do try to feed all the slings/juveniles once every two weeks.

18. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

I'm in no hurry either, I just keep my critter room hot so I feel they need the extra sustenance.

19. Storm76

Storm76 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Germany
    I feed my juvies and adults once every 2 weeks, my slings once per week.

And :D @mark - basically I got more T's that quickly because I was fed up with the size of feeders you have to buy. Doesn't help me having to herd a bunch of feeders that won't get eaten before they'll die anyways...:)

20. advan

advan Nikonian Staff Member

Feeding twice a week and 85-90 degree temps sure does seem like a hurry to me. ;)