feeding pinkies

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking of feeding my almost mature T a pinky for the first time, just being cautious, but how long should we starve her before we give her a pinky? can we leave the pinky in there for a couple of days in case my g rosea hides in her burrow?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
never leave in prey items more than overnight......starve????:? i'd put it in, if it takes it then just worry bout cleaning the mess...if not, than take the pinkie out...

wayne

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
can we leave the pinky in there for a couple of days in case my g rosea hides in her burrow?
You've never interacted with a rodent carcass before, have you. After MAYBE five-six hours, that thing is gonna be ripe like a dead mouse. After two days, it will be vile.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
never leave in prey items more than overnight......starve????:? i'd put it in, if it takes it then just worry bout cleaning the mess...if not, than take the pinkie out...

wayne
Yeah... the word "starve" makes me feel uncomfortable too... like there's an ulterior motive for doing it.

I may be wrong....

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why are you thinking of feeding a mammal?
There is a lot of subjective evidence that it is bad for your T. So why do you think the spider needs that much protean and fat?
If you feel you need to starve the T for it to eat anything especially a mouse maybe it is not worth it.

Don't get me wrong I have certain larger T's that I do feed some pinkies/fuzzies to but they are all well over 7 inches.

If you just want to provide some variety, and that's a good thing, try some roaches, or meal worms. I just think a pinky is a poor choice for a rosey.:)

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had pinkies before, but they had a mother too, so no i never used pinky as food.
we feed our T atleest 4 crickets a week, i was just wondering if she's full will she refuse the pinky? (probably yes), so should i not feed her for a week before giving the pinky

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how many people think pinkies are a bad choice?
do meal worms dig in the dirt?
i don't think i can get roaches over here, we only have a handful of pet stores and they are all Pets Unlimited

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The point I was trying to make is unless you are trying to fatten up a gravid female there is no reason a rose hair needs a pinky.

If she is hungry enought after 4 crickets a week to eat a pinky, and she is WC she probably is gravid.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how many people think pinkies are a bad choice?
do meal worms dig in the dirt?
i don't think i can get roaches over here, we only have a handful of pet stores and they are all Pets Unlimited
*raises hand*
count that as one, and Mina is yelling at me to say she thinks so too so count two.
Yes meal worms will burrow, but put them in a shallow dish and your are OK.
For roaches check on the web, or the FS/FT section for "starter colonies" a small one of B. lateralis is $10 to $20 even if you don't plan on breading the roaches that should last you a month or two.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't really want to feed it pinkies anyways (thanks for coaxing me out of it), i will look up roaches

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gave my rosie a pinkie a while back. I waited until the following morning to remove whatever was left over and NOTHING was left over! :eek: There was no smell in the terrarium either, so it was completely devoured.

I handled her for the first time a few days later and she managed to take a huge dump on my hands and shirt... bigger than any other droppings I've seen in her enclosure.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why are pinkies or mammals bad for Ts? I cant help but think its possible for a Rosea to find a mouse den or catch a passing mouse during the wet season rodent "explosions" in the area.

I'd assume the occasional mouse is a possibilty, though possibly a rare, opportunity in the wild. Like the occasional lizard, toad, baby bird, etc.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why are pinkies or mammals bad for Ts? I cant help but think its possible for a Rosea to find a mouse den or catch a passing mouse during the wet season rodent "explosions" in the area.

I'd assume the occasional mouse is a possibilty, though possibly a rare, opportunity in the wild. Like the occasional lizard, toad, baby bird, etc.
no one ever said they were bad unless the make up of the diet is just mammals...t's are opportunistic but vert prey makes up a small percentage of a t's diet

wayne

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's the calcium that most ppl say is bad. Once in awhile feeding pickie's won't do much, but if you do it often, then it might have an affect on your T.

At that size I would imagine mealworms to be too small. I would rather use superworms. They do dig, so what I normally do is try put it right infront of my T and wait for it to get snatched up. Other ppl have seen their T's dig up the worms, so either way it's up to you.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if you do decide to feed a pinky i would suggest getting the smallest one possible. i have fed probably around 10-12 pinkies to just molted or breeding project females and the only time it was gross was when the dang spider didn't eat the mouse

if the pinkie is quite a bit smaller than the spider's abdomen there shouldn't be anything left over that can go bad or smell

i believe the "starving" thing comes from the belief that a larger sized pinky should be fed and that the spider has to be fairly hungry to finish the meal.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hm.

I do the same with my t's. Every once in a while I feed them a pinky for a change in food. Nothing harmful and is harmless. Roaches, crickets on nutition diets, wax/meal worms, and pinkys.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
theres nothing bad in feed rodents to Ts ive just never seen a rosie eat any thing but another invert, the one time i tried a pinkie w/ y rosie she refused it and it turned out to be a nice snack for my centipede.

my T. blondi is the only thing w/ 8 legs in my collection that has ever eaten a mouse and that pretty much what i fed her from back in april of last year to about 3 months ago and so far no harm done.. but then again i have to wait and see till she molts... but ive tried feeding her feild crickets,grasshoppers and roaches and she has only taken to grasshoppers and field crickets

sgt.batguano

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i must agree on the grossness of dead mice and such. i used to keep the freezer stocked with foot long rats with broken necks. i wasnt even into herp at the time. just the rats ...and neck breaking.