Feeding pedes meat

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just wondering, has anyone fed their pedes meat such as chicken or beef? If so, I'm wondering how it should be prepared. I saw a video of a galapagoensis eating a lightly cooked steak; is that safe?
Also, what are your opinions on the importance of a varied diet to pedes?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Just wondering, has anyone fed their pedes meat such as chicken or beef? If so, I'm wondering how it should be prepared. I saw a video of a galapagoensis eating a lightly cooked steak; is that safe?
Also, what are your opinions on the importance of a varied diet to pedes?
Ive fed both raw and cooked chicken to most of my Pedes. Varied diet is good I’m my opinion since In nature they eat a varied diet.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Never feed raw chicken. Too many bacteriae.
You want to boil it for a while to kill those, it's maybe unnecessary to cook it all the way.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd sooner feed a F/T mouse or rat than a piece of meat. They'll probably get far more out if those. Skin, offal, meat etcetera.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I've offered small morsels of meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) both raw and lightly cooked and few of mine refuse it. I don't like feeding large pieces of meat as they often are too fatty for centipedes. I have seen many pictures of 'pedes scavenging large roadkilled vertebrates in the wild, but that's in the wild where overeating is healthy. Obviously meat cooked with oil/seasonings/salt is a bad idea.
I would stick to frozen/thawed rodents (or reptiles/fish if available) as a better vertebrate option.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in southern Arizona and spend a lot of time in a cave where I sometimes see Scolopendra heros. Twice I have seen one eating a bat. Don't know if they were scavenging an already dead bat, or if they had killed the bat - but they definitely eat meat in the wild. In captivity I've offered mine (several different species of Scolopendra) dead mice, canned dog food, baby food - and all have been accepted. But I do that only sparingly. Most of the time I feed them crickets.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
In captivity I've offered mine (several different species of Scolopendra) dead mice, canned dog food, baby food - and all have been accepted. But I do that only sparingly. Most of the time I feed them crickets.
Feeding them baby food definitely sparked my interest in this thread, not only because it’d make for...interesting conversations at grocery store checkout (“aww how old is yours?” “idk they’re wild caught”) but because some use baby food to feed frugivorous geckos, though it’s not recommended. Do you think ‘pedes would (and safely could) eat Crested Gecko Diet? I’ve always got Pangea with Insects on hand, and I’ve seen centipedes eating “beetle jelly”, so it doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I've given my tiger rubripes chicken heart once, aside from that the only vertebrate meat it's had a go at is my hands