Feeding Parry the Pede

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Here is Parry eating an Anole. He bit the Anole, and the Anole went ecstatic. It ran up the side and jumped out of the tall glass jar. It landed and ran across the lawn, then started to get slow climbing up a tree. Eventually, a few feet up it fell and died.

That was the first time I've ever had prey escape from Parry's enclosure. You're not going to get far with venom coursing through your veins.

As soon as I dropped the dead Anole in Parry began to feast!

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno about centepedes, but i think feeding small lizards is ok, if done very rarely! I have very seldom done it myself. About 15 years ago it hapend that if i found a small lizard i fed it. But it may happend every 2 years or simething like that. I have always feed only insects with a few exeptions. A few times i fed pinkies but in 19 years of tsrantula keeping i have fed lizards and pinkies maybe 10 times or so?

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Why would you feed a live vertebrate to an animal like a centipede? That's animal cruelty. It's even illegal in a load of other countries.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many things is animal cruelty! Fishing for instance is extreeme animal cruelty! Feeding cochroaches, crickets and locust are ok? What are we judging animal cruelty on? Sizes of the brain!? Eating meat that has derived from a slaugtherhous or chickenfarm! You indirectly suport animal cruelty!! I never feed verabrates to tarantulas anymore cos insect is in my believ the best feeder. But i dont judge someone who does!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Many things is animal cruelty! Fishing for instance is extreeme animal cruelty! Feeding cochroaches, crickets and locust are ok? What are we judging animal cruelty on? Sizes of the brain!? Eating meat that hasnderived from a slaugtherhous or chickenfarm! You indirectly suport animal cruelty!!
Oh my.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Many things is animal cruelty! Fishing for instance is extreeme animal cruelty! Feeding cochroaches, crickets and locust are ok? What are we judging animal cruelty on? Sizes of the brain!? Eating meat that has derived from a slaugtherhous or chickenfarm! You indirectly suport animal cruelty!! I never feed verabrates to tarantulas anymore cos insect is in my believ the best feeder. But i dont judge someone who does!
Many, many more things are also animal cruelty. Buying more electronic goods, food or clothes than what you strictly need indirectly causes animal suffering because they all require the clearing of forests at some level. Going to the gym is animal cruelty because it increases your food consumption which further places strain on natural resources. Producing children, who will in their lives consume many, many animals and require a portion of rainforest cut down to meet their product consumption is animal cruelty. As well as animal cruelty, the above also involve elements of human cruelty. No one likes child slavery but everyone owns clothes made by children, and eats chocolate made from cocoa picked by children.

But there is a big difference between the above (which relate to survival and quality of life, and will happen even when the individual stops doing it) and deliberately feeding a vertebrate to a centipede, or reeling a fish out of the sea for fun.

There's also a difference between "judging someone" and calling out behaviour. I don't like the use of the word "judging" as everyone judges everything and everyone constantly - that's what brains do. What I think people really mean is whether they consider another person inferior to them because of their actions/status/choice/etc... And that's not what I am doing. I know nothing about the OP or what he does with his life, and it has absolutely no relevance. I am calling out the behaviour, and would do so regardless of who I saw engaging in it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes i see your point. What i meant was feeding an anolis lizard or the likes which are sometimes a natural foodsource. And what about those snakeowners, they feed mice to their snakes, many feed dead mice, but many feed live to!?

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Why would you feed a live vertebrate to an animal like a centipede? That's animal cruelty. It's even illegal in a load of other countries.
Animal cruelty? I am simulating what would happen in the natural environment. (In Hawaii pedes have turned the invasive anole into a food source.) Minus the pede retrieving the food. I feed my pedes anoles less than once a year. This anole just happened to be right next to all of their enclosures.

It was a pretty big scare considering fruits, crickets, roaches, and superworms can't jump out like that. I was just sharing. If you don't like it is you right not to.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
I dunno about centepedes, but i think feeding small lizards is ok, if done very rarely! I have very seldom done it myself. About 15 years ago it hapend that if i found a small lizard i fed it. But it may happend every 2 years or simething like that. I have always feed only insects with a few exeptions. A few times i fed pinkies but in 19 years of tsrantula keeping i have fed lizards and pinkies maybe 10 times or so?
This is the 4th time I fed an anole? I have 6 pedes. All WC in my area. It is a natural occurrence for something like this to happen.

Usually I just throw them outside but this pede needed to be fed. It hadn't eaten one before in a little over a year ive had it.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
The fact it happens in nature is no excuse. Animals bake in the sun every day, doesn't mean its OK to throw them live in an oven.

You could have pre-killed the anole, but instead you chose to live feed it, risked harm to the pede, caused a massive amount of suffering to the prey, and then posted about it.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
The fact it happens in nature is no excuse. Animals bake in the sun every day, doesn't mean its OK to throw them live in an oven.

You could have pre-killed the anole, but instead you chose to live feed it, risked harm to the pede, caused a massive amount of suffering to the prey, and then posted about it.
I wanted to share a story. If you don't like it then so be, you're entitled to your own opinion.

In nature, insects are not farmed to be eaten. In nature, pedes aren't held captive by a superior being. Though I do see your point, next time I feed my pede something out of its usual diet, it will be pre-killed. I rarely feed them anything besides the stuff insects I breed and the fruits I have. Though it is quite hard to get my 2 of my pedes to eat anything pre-killed.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Interesting... All of my pedes will take pre-killed insects direct from the forceps.
Yeah 2 of my pedes don't take pre killed stuff from the tongs. They run away, I'll try and get a video. I'll be feeding them again in a week and half.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Yeah 2 of my pedes don't take pre killed stuff from the tongs. They run away, I'll try and get a video. I'll be feeding them again in a week and half.
You have shy centipedes! If you leave the prey overnight, it should be taken by morning if they are hungry... Sometimes they don't however.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lizards are natural prey for some centipedes, ...small lizards. While I was sitting on my back porch 2 or 3 years ago, I heard some thrashing noises behind the siding of my house, it was pretty loud. Then a scolopendra heros and Mediterranean gecko fell onto the cement. That pede had caught that lizard and it was only about 4 inches if that much. I don't look for lizards to feed pedes though. I found the pic I took right after they fell from the siding.

Last edited:

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Isn't it dangerous to your pede to feed wc? You don't know what that anole had in its system.

Also, if your pedes don't eat pre-killed, why did you bother retrieving the anole after it died to feed your pede? Something just doesn't add up....

If your pede needs live prey to trigger a feeding response, a dead anole isn't going to work, no matter who killed it. It's not like your pede hunted down its injured prey. You brought it a dead anole.

Last edited:

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Isn't it dangerous to your pede to feed wc? You don't know what that anole had in its system.

Also, if your pedes don't eat pre-killed, why did you bother retrieving the anole after it died to feed your pede? Something just doesn't add up....

If your pede needs live prey to trigger a feeding response, a dead anole isn't going to work, no matter who killed it. It's not like your pede hunted down its injured prey. You brought it a dead anole.
I said 2/6 of the pedes I own don't take pre-killed stuff. They run away back under their hide. The pede I showed takes pre-killed stuff. Read everything before you insinuate that I'm lying.

The area that I live association I live in has rules against pesticides and things of that nature. It is next to a protected area.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I said 2/6 of the pedes I own don't take pre-killed stuff. They run away back under their hide. The pede I showed takes pre-killed stuff. Read everything before you insinuate that I'm lying.

The area that I live association I live in has rules against pesticides and things of that nature. It is next to a protected area.
Then why bother feeding that pede live prey? There was no need to feed it live if it takes pre-killed.

And insects and reptiles can travel pretty far, carrying harmful pesticides, parasites, and bacteria.