Feeding my 3/4" tarantula question

ShoreT

Arachnopeon
What do you guys feed your small T's ?( I cant do and type of roach) so I just threw a cut in half small superworm in her enclosure, she hasnt gone for it yet though.
Any recommendations would be great :). Also is there any way to entice them to eat dead prey or is just dropping them in near them good enough?

cold blood

Staff member

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Even though they are 1/4 - 3/4” small sized baby tarantulas, they will gladly enjoy any sorts of large size pre killed meals.

47D39BF0-9BE9-4744-8660-D6A002B1793E.jpeg

A60C5AA9-9273-49D5-B075-9C5015CFD686.jpeg

42E17023-44B1-48D0-A6E0-36C5DCC4B45A.jpeg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I try to keep them on the pre-killed meal worms as long as possible and I would still be using them at 3/4". Sometimes they attack it right away and sometimes they don't. I leave it in for about 24 hours. You have to be careful because they go mouldy quickly.

Killertut

Arachnosquire
cut up superworms in my case.
another benefit? they live for soo long even if not fed or watered compared to crickets and the like and they are very rich in fat, excellent for growth.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I use cut up super worms for my slings and lateralias roaches for everything else I think the give the best feeding response as they always run round the Ts enclosure like mad making it quite entertaining

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Appropriately sized prey- depends on specimen and species at times

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
If you have slings or very small T's, you can order inexpensive flightless fruit fly cultures and keep them going. There are species of roaches that cannot fly and live quite a long time, thus breeding quite a bit. You can also easily breed crickets and use their smaller offspring, but they make a lot of noise. Dubia roaches are really good at hiding in an enclosure buried and may grow to larger sizes and become a hazard, so always monitor the feeding.

Tommydragon10

Arachnopeon
When I feed my B. Hamori and my A. Chalcodes slings. I give them cut up meal worms. My B. Hamori wont eat prekilled prey if I just drop it in its cage. I usually, take a super think kebab stick and put the piece of mealworm on the end and move it around. My B. Hamori usually goes for it then.

My A. Chalcodes will scavenge whatever bits of mealworm I give it.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
I use mealworms for every single one of my tarantulas, from tiny slings to my bigger juveniles, they're either cut up or just dropped in whole with a crushed head. Most of them will take them eventually, it may take overnight or it may be until they actually feel hungry a few weeks/months later after a few failed feeding attempts. The only critter in my collection that gets anything other than a mealworm is one of my whip scorps that will only eat small crickets.